Hunting in jon boat

Discuss all your Duck Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Dawgs32
scout

Hunting in jon boat

Post by Dawgs32 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:38 am

Hello Everyone,

I have been scouting for this duck season and all I have is a little 10ft jon boat with a trolling motor. I have found it to be very difficult as you cannot go very far and the area limits where I can go with what I have. I am not use to FL duck hunting. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Central FL.

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Hunting in jon boat

Post by wingshooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:25 am

Hunting in Florida is deffinately an experience. I run a go devil type of motor and 14 foot glass boat and do fine with shallow water and weeds wich can be very thick along the bank. I can run the same motor on my 14 foot jon with same result. There are many options. Do you need more speed, more room, or more power? I see guys using flats boats and bass boats they just have to park in an area that dosent hurt the boat use a big camo cover to hide the boat and walk. Air boats are great, kinda hard to hide. There are times when shooting out of the boat is the only option that is why i like the smallish camo boats, but most of the time we are out of the boat when hunting. The FWC has plenty of rules about duck hunting always a good read before the season.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

Return to “DUCK HUNTING FORUM”