O/U vs SxS?

Discuss all your Duck Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Calvin66
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

O/U vs SxS?

Post by Calvin66 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:16 am

I want to make things a little more challenging this season, and was thinking of getting a two barrel gun.

Since I was a kid, I always heard the O/U was a “feather” gun, while the side by side was a “hair” gun. I’ve seen some folk using a SXS for shooting ducks, so I was hoping someone might offer some insight as to shooting one for birds. Any reason other than personal preference for the side by side?

Thanks,

Cal
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: O/U vs SxS?

Post by M12Gunboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 am

Personal choice and preference is the only difference. They will both shoot equally as well by a competent marksman with a comparably choked shotgun.

Buy you a nice Winchester 21 SXS....

Calvin66
scout

Post by Calvin66 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am

Buy you a nice Winchester 21 SXS....

I wish! a LITTLE too much for my pocket. I normally shoot in the STAs, so I'm looking for something in the po-folk budget that's gonna get beat up.

Thanks Gunboy!
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am

I will stick with my Berreta. Secound would be O/U.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Calvin66
scout

Post by Calvin66 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 pm

I agree with you, Dave. My main gun is a Berretta. And I've always liked the O/Us but was just wondering about the sxs and shooting wings. I think I'm going to try to borrow one, and test it on some skeet.

Thanks for the input.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:16 pm

when broken open and carried over the shoulder, the sxs is more comfortable imo. for shooting (top bbl first) for me it seems easier to stay on target for a follow up, or 2nd shot by raising the bbl than to move it side to side, and MAY be slightly faster. but that is really splitting hairs. Most serious clay shooters use o/u's, I doubt it's coincidence. I'm kinda hooked on semi auto now.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Calvin66
scout

Post by Calvin66 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks, Nacho.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:21 pm

1 more thing, shooting a double bbl is NO handicap unless trying for a triple. the absence of a bolt shortens the oal with the same length bbl, handles and comes to shoulder and on target MUCH FASTER. Plus you can have a diff choke and shot size in each bbl, way more versatile. I'd opt for a 20ga.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:38 am

i have been looking @ o/u's recently, and on a budget i think the stoeger condor is about as budgetable as it gets. the savage 512 isnt too bad either. i shoot my grampas sxs l.c. smith and love shooting it! it is great for clays, birds, and i have taken hogs with buckshot with it as well.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:35 pm

I bought a used Brazilian made SXS 20 ga,can't remember the make and model off hand, choked IC/MOD with 26" barrels, solid rib and double triggers for my stepson. Got it from a guy in Tampa when I was working over there off FL Guntrader and only gave $120.00 for it. Patrick loves it and Nacho and Wingshooter can attest to his ability to shoot doubles with it on doves. Perfect hunting gun! Watch FL Guntrader, I have seen some decent shooter/hunting grade SXS shotguns come up for very little money.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Personally I am not a SXS guy. As far as O/U's go I have owned or shot most all makes and models, including Perrazi and Kregoff. In my opinion, bang for the buck when you compare O/U's in the retail range of $1500-$5500 the Browning Citori comes out the winner for value, quality and most economical price wise, a very close second is the Winchester 101, both of them can be found used and in good to very good condition for $500-800.

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:27 am

SxS hamerless with a barrel mounted sling stud doest matter which brand (I am partial to Icthica SxS) and jut like gunboy mentioned, they can be found on the used market for a good price. Heck for a few seasons I used an SKB 28 gauge SxS for dove, it was a higher end gun and I did not want to destroy the value so it sat in the safe until sold. One thing about a SxS is it does not open very far to load as compared to an OU, something to consider in the duck blind.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

Calvin66
scout

Post by Calvin66 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks, all.
Brought up some very good points.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm

WE wouldn't bring ANY "NICE" GUNS into our duck boat, especially if in salt water. that's where Mossbergs shine.

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice is one thing, but all that ingraving, and figured walnut, hand cut checkering, it was way to nice for me to use in the field. Too much sweat and dirt for that gun. And besides I have gone auto loader now.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

Return to “DUCK HUNTING FORUM”