Got me some woodie

Discuss all your Duck Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Got me some woodie

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:03 am

The deer and hog hunting has gone south for the season, which is to be expected. 4 months of pressure have all of them dug in tight till next season. I have been going but it has been non productive. As I sit in the stand, it has driven me crazy listening to all these woodies whistling all day long. I have chased deer, hogs, and turkeys all over the south, been out west elk hunting, and done every type of fishing known..But have never hunted ducks. Figured the only way to learn is to go get in amongst them.
Some things I learned after a couple times of doing this now.

Mistake 1. Not taking my waders. I spent a small fortune last year on waders and they do me no good sitting in my garage in their storage bin. I could only work the edges of this 2 acre flooded timber pond in my rubber boots.

These things are fast. I mean you are as well off hitting a falling meteorite when they crash into the water.

They have eye sight like a turkey. No matter how still you stand, they will see you. Also very difficult to keep them moving with 1 person. They would just go to the other side of the pond.

They are stunningly beautiful.

People are unlawful. There is a big creek that runs thru my lease, which the other side of it is accessed by a neighboring lease. I listened to gunfire Friday thru Sunday of unplugged guns. Not only unplugged guns, but shooting well before sunrise and well after sunset. Saturday afternoon I sat in a stand till I couldn't see thru my rifle scope, drove out of my lease and when I got to my gate, they were still shooting. This was at like 6:15pm :no
Guess when you get away from the STA's and big bodies of water, these locals make their own rules. I try to stay on the right side of the law.

I was also amazed at how late ducks will be up flying. Driving back to camp with barely any light at all you would still see ducks flying.

I sure know more about it now than I did before I tried it. It is definitely fun and I can see how people get hooked on it. I kept the drake I shot yesterday and put it in a vacuum bag and in the freezer. Thinking about getting it mounted, but have no idea who to use or what it costs
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Got me some woodie

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 am

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Got me some woodie

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 am

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Got me some woodie

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 am

79Bronco
scout

Re: Got me some woodie

Post by 79Bronco » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Good deal man! Those woodies are a blast to hunt.

fishindad

Re: Got me some woodie

Post by fishindad » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Awesome man! Congrats!!!!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Return to “DUCK HUNTING FORUM”