Ultimate over all hunting dog?

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Ultimate over all hunting dog?

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 am

Skunk Ape wrote:,wiener dogs for chumming sharks,
Now that ain't right....although my wife has a Min Pin, everyone once in awhile I have this urge
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

All 5 in my kennel lol. All I have are crossed up dogs.

Nothing is overall the 'best' for every game. My deer dogs will cold trail and run the pee out of a deer but would never be gritty enough to catch a hog or tree a coon.

Dogs should be judged individually and possibly by their respective breed and that's it. Certain traits are relatively strong for the breed but not in every animal. I prefer the nose and calmness of a beagle but speed and drive in a walker.

If I had to choose one dog to tree coons, bay hogs, and run deer etc it would be a toss-up between a treeing walker or plott hound.

This english female dog I have now will trail a deer or hog and bay pretty good, but she isn't as gritty as the curs.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Skunk Ape wrote:Brittney spaniels for birds,beagles for bunnies,beagles for blood trailing,german shepards for coons,treeing walkers for racoons,wiener dogs for chumming sharks,
:toast :toast and cur dogs for hogs!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:21 pm

I care about my 2 weiner dogs than I do most people...Now, Yorkie's on the other hand..............
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Devinv
scout

Post by Devinv » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 am

1/2 american pit 1/2 Akita, Although my extent at hunting while using a dog is hearing him growl and end up having to put down some critter he ripped apart. If I had him as a pup i'm sure he would have been an excellent hog dog due to speed, brains and his over sized pit jaws.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:24 am

You know, in my line of work I have been in thousands and thousands of customers homes. In every single home that has an Akita, every one of them have been extremely aggressive
Don't want to sound like I am knocking a breed, because there are plenty that get an unfair labeling. That's just what I have observed.
Heck, I had one customer that I could not ring his doorbell. I had to pull over and call him when I was 5 minutes away so he could lock the dog up. ANd that was an outside service, I didn't even go inside. The dog would break a window to get out he was so mean
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:36 am

I thought you were a teacup chihuahua man,lol.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:57 pm

there is an org called NAVDA, north American versatile hunting dog assoc. co founded by Boto Winterholt for good dogs the akc wouldn't recognize. he basicly invented the pudel pointer breed as a mix of spanish water pudels and english pointers primarily shortly after ww-2 and introduced them to North America in the mid to late 50's. many rich/famous and knowledgeable people use them. Bing Crosby, and more recently Jamison Parker use them. they are great swimmers,large enough at 60-70 lbs, fast,good nose/soft mouth, find,point,hold,flush on command, stay steady to shot and can be trained for just about anything. he also worked a good deal with brittany's. a classic navda type would be a german shorthair. I agrre with skunk theres no 1 breed that does it All best.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't know anything about them but Supercracker has one...a Drathaar!

(Pic from the internet)

They just look COOL! I want to smoke a pipe next to a dog like that! I bet he could point quail, retrieve ducks, bay a hog, recite poetry and drink scotch with me around a fire and never miss a beat!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:59 pm

I wanted 2 of em so bad and had access to winterholt bred and trained, but the wife didn't like the beard or wirehair and a bit 2 big. but am extremely in love with my 2 brits, wouldn't change a thing now.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:54 pm

looks like he's saying elementary my dear Watson. too dam smart. my britt biotch was trying to train me to hold the doggie door open for her, and it almost worked.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Skunk Ape wrote:Brittney spaniels for birds,beagles for bunnies,beagles for blood trailing,german shepards for coons,treeing walkers for racoons,wiener dogs for chumming sharks,
hilarious. :lol:

Supercracker
scout

Post by Supercracker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 am

blackpowderscout wrote:I don't know anything about them but Supercracker has one...a Drathaar!

They just look COOL! I want to smoke a pipe next to a dog like that! I bet he could point quail, retrieve ducks, bay a hog, recite poetry and drink scotch with me around a fire and never miss a beat!
Funny. I was thinking the same thing. lol

Drahthaar is pretty much a Wirehaired Pointer but with really really strict standards and tightly controlled breeding requirements. (go here for a MUCH more detailed breakdown http://www.drahthaar.com/articles/different.html). The intent is to get rid of all of the non hunting that is being bred into the breed and make them back like they were when they were first bred. It's all regulated by zee Germans, so you know it runs like a Swiss watch. In order to be registered in the breed the dogs have to do specialized field trials, to breed they have to have achieved a certain score in the testing, and even then any proposed breeding must be approved by zee Germans.

Here's my little booger "Bismark" and his BIG brother Jaeger
This is Bismarks daddy, Bento. He's a STOUT solid dog.
Jaeger is a decent do all dog. Good bird dog, points rabbits, retrieves, he even points bedded down pigs and is a passable blood trailer. He doesn't like the water too much though.

Back in the days of the Kaiser guys were massively taxed for each gun and each dog. So you ended up with one gun for everything (3 barreled Shotgun/Rifle combo) and one dog for everything (various German Pointers). They really can do everything.

Here's a really cool video of one drahthaar
Retrieving doves at a shoot
Pointing and retrieving quail
Retrieving ducks from the water
Flushing and retrieving Pheasants
Blood trailing an Elk (24 or 40hrs old trail at the test, IIRC)
Blood trailing a whitetail
blood trailing a fox (zee Germans are big on foxes for some reason)
and Baying a pig in the swamp.
http://drahthaar-trulyversatile.com/video/

They really are cool dogs. Bismark seems to be really really smart and picks things up almost immediately. He's 15 weeks old and already is pointing birds, can trail a dragged pupperoni 20 or 30 yds, and will retrieve a thrown bumper til your arm goes numb from throwing it. I really need to get some rabbits and a couple of piglets to train him with. If it is AT ALL possible I'm want to train him to hunt while wearing a little hat and lederhosen. Just to annoy the gun dogs snobs. lol

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 am

Very cool looking dog.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 pm

Make sure you give Bismark a stein full of beer after each hunt! Beautiful dogs!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”