Need a Catch Dog, Polk County, Florida Area

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:09 pm

My bulldog/cur dog, Jigsaw, got killed on Friday. Been chasing this hog for 3 months now, seen him twice, had him caught once in a lake and about lost a dog that time.

First time, he ran through some thick stuff into a lake. He was standing up in water with my (late) 75-80# bulldog hanging off his ear about drowning him and Sabby on the back of his neck. I got close enough to put my flashlight on him and pull my knife out then he saw me and tossed Jigsaw up in the air like nothing, threw my Sabby dog and bolted. The water was up to my hip and he ran off like nothin was in his way. Caught the dogs up and called it quits as they were all coughing up water and I was hunting by myself that night. Sabby had two approx. 4" circles of shaved hair where he chomped down on her and took the hair down to the skin. If they were punctures, she woulda been dead. Bulldog had a couple pokes but nothing serious.

He's smoked me a few times in the meantime.

On Friday, we jumped him within 100 yards of where we did last time, except Sabby cut him off from the lake and he ran out into a big, thick field. I heard Sabby chopping bayed about 400-500 yards away then nothing for awhile...then I hear the hog break and Sabby trailing him (she yips on a real hot trail). We do our best to get towards them, but ain't hearing nothing. Finally didn't know which way to go anymore so we waited. 45 min later Sabby showed up, pretty beat up. Few cuts on her head and neck, 8"x4" bruise on her ribcage with a small cut and a cut down the other side. My buddy's bulldog (nothing but a help dog, really) showed up a few minutes later unscathed. Gave Jigsaw another half hour then started looking and hollering. Nowhere to be found, spent the rest of the weekend looking for him. Talked to the local animal control guy. Talked to neighbors surrounding the area we hunted....nothing.

Anyways- I know we don't have many dog hunters on here, but if anyone knows of a decent catch dog for sale or a free bulldog type that might make a catchdog, let me know.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Need a Catch Dog, Polk County, Florida Area

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 pm

sorry to hear about your dog nick

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks man. He was a decent dog, was just coming up on two years and had a pretty good nose for a bulldog. Once he got to the woods, it was all business for him. Unfortunately, losing dogs is a risk you have to accept when you take him to the woods, but I know he died doing what he loved.

This hog is due to be caught. Once my Sabby dog is done gimping around, I'll be calling in the cavalry and will go out there with a few real rough dogs and put an end to this. It's personal now. I really want to catch this SOB solo, but after hearing him growl instead of squeal when he had three dogs piled on him the first time we had him caught, I realized that it's in my best interest to carry some help with me.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm

vonnick52 wrote: It's personal now.
/\/\ This /\/\.....Sorry to hear about your dog, I do believe I would have to put an end to that hog for what its done.

The guys who hog dog up by my camp never kill em, just catch em and then let em go, no matter how many dogs get cut in the process. I am not sure I could let a hog go after he killed one of mine.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Sorry abt ur dog dude!
I like animals, they are tasty!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 pm

we better get pics of this bad boy once you get him.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Sorry about your dog. It's part of the hunting though. Sounds like a real bad boar too. He needs to die by your knife.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

outrunner13
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by outrunner13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:35 pm

sorry about your dog 'but check around rockleage at the cirle k there alot of hog doggers come in there they mite know someone with a dog

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Dam dude sorry bout the dog man. Good luck getting that hog. Id stick my knife so far into that hog that my fist would touch his heart.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Just catch him alive and sell him with a story.

:saluting
Bossman

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm

my deepest sympathies for the loss of your dog. I can't fathom how you deal with it. it breaks my heart just watching my bird dogs get older and limpy from chasing squirrels.good luck getting that hog.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”