ocala

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

jesse
scout

ocala

Post by jesse » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 am

went out in the pipeline unit yesterday with my dad. he is 82 and a lifelong hunter, we ran some of the places he hunted as a youg man. it was cool, the stories. he told.one bout his dad making moonshine part time and times were hard and he would kill wild hogs with a ax which were drunk and passed out from eating the used mash during the night. any way jumped five times with only one truck not much luck cutting the dogs mostly chasing the dogs. did run one big doe out and one big gobbler( i don't know why but sometimes mydogs will run one a mile or more.before it will fly). took a new pup out for the first time he stayed with his mom untill i caught them all on the gas line. i would have liked to have seen that deer(big track). did not run any bears, which was a plus saw several freah scrapes . caught the last dog crossing the highway into churchlake unit just before dark. good times. anyone interested in hunting dogs during the week? let me know. i am good on meat so justlaid back hunting for fun and listening to the dogs work.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Re: ocala

Post by JBUG308 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 am

Do you venture south of 40 any?

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:05 am

man i aint been out on 88 in a looooooooong time. used to also run the hammocks at the 40-19 crossing. had a sow run me up a tree when I got between her and her cub.lol man them were some good times back then. we camped and still hunted hopkins praire
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:31 pm

jbug308, not really i have trained pups south of 40 across from junipter springs after the season one dog got across into the run where a couple of girls caught him and ended up bringing him to my house on their way back to jax the next day. i spent the night in the woods worrying and they had him tied up and feeding him! i live in nortth marion county( citra) and it is 32 miles to where i am hunting now. if you want to hunt down there i will drive down to be social but not on a regular basis and not near hwy 40. i am really liking that new pup crossed two blocks and still opening with the pack i so like like an older puppy no playing around just earning his feed

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 am

The folks that I run with from time to time are quite a ways south of 40. Here lately they've been running south of 54 (old 95) and north of 14 (old 73?) North west of big scrub camp. They run on low 35.

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

love this rain. it has been hot and dry for weeks . ran a couple does and one maybe last time out. in the morning i'll be looking for a big track.i enjoy hearing those hounds run even if i do keep turning the deer trying to cut them off.i'm still in the game.

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”