Dog training help

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Calvin66
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Dog training help

Post by Calvin66 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:25 am

Not a hunting dog, but I'm desperate.

I was wondering if any of you had experience with those dog collars, and what you think about them.
I’ve got a little dog whom I love dearly, but he is the biggest pain the butt I’ve seen. He barks at everyone, anything constantly. Once he gets in that mode, he becomes possessed, and impossible to control. One time while camping we had a site next to the public bathrooms, and honestly thought we were going to get kicked out.
As much as I hate the idea, I’m considering a little “shock” therapy to try to control at least the barking. He’s 3yrs old, and we’ve tried everything from spray bottles to a soda can with pennies (which seemed to work, but he shredded to pieces as soon as we put it down).
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Dog training help

Post by spazhogdog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:27 pm

As much as i don't like to use them, the shock collars work.we had a 6 month old pup that would bark all the time see seen anything. Like you tried water treatment but after a session with shock out broke her. Did not fry her just alittle zap. But in the right hands they are very useful

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Calvin66
scout

Post by Calvin66 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks, Spaz.
“That brush beyond the big hump has been calling for a long time and maybe I better answer while I’m able” R.L.P

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

She hit it on the head. I have seen them work well. And you can really train your dog to do anything you want it to do to the shock. Just don't abuse the dog on it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Yes they work and are essential training to me. Be sure the dog doesn't figure out that it only has to mind when you strap it on.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:45 pm

My buddy will trick his dogs out by taping a empty pack of cigarettes to their collar, they think its the shock box

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 pm

lmao
vonnick52 wrote:My buddy will trick his dogs out by taping a empty pack of cigarettes to their collar, they think its the shock box
I like animals, they are tasty!

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm

sam03 wrote:lmao
vonnick52 wrote:My buddy will trick his dogs out by taping a empty pack of cigarettes to their collar, they think its the shock box
I thought he was full of crap when I asked him what the heck he was doing one night when we were grilling out and they wouldn't quit barking. He only has one collar but has 6-10 dogs at any given time....only a couple are stubborn barkers, but I'll be darned if it didn't work.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm

spazhogdog wrote:As much as i don't like to use them, the shock collars work.we had a 6 month old pup that would bark all the time see seen anything. Like you tried water treatment but after a session with shock out broke her. Did not fry her just alittle zap. But in the right hands they are very useful

Sorry to derail the thread, but how's your gimpy dog with the cut achilles tendon doing? I'm interested to hear how that healed up.

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:34 pm

She is about 90 %. Lots of swimming, walking and easy hunts and she came back, we still hunt her and doing good at nine just slower.lol

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”