I got an extremely intelligent Beagle yesterday

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Picked up a female pup last night. She came from outdoor kennels and never been on a leash or in a home far as I know. She's 3 months old. Last night I put her on a leash and she was skittish never having been on one. She spent the night in a crate with zero accidents. I walked her this morning and she used the bathroom ... zero problems with leash. By this afternoon ... three months old and only on a leash three times.... She was bringing the leash to me in her mouth to go out.

The breader beads them for hunting (esp rabbit)
He has one male left. I said I would refer him if this dog turned out good.

I have a question. I have some acreage with lots of rabbit. This pup is already picking up scent.. I didn't intend to hunt with this dog ... but I hate to not allow a dog to do what it was bred to do. Any suggestions? I don't have a vehicle to chase it through the woods...I don't have a gps collar...and honestly I am not that familiar with hunting dogs and am afraid she'd get lost

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Post by Ironcat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 pm

What about one of those 20' retractable leads?
Keep the dog close until a rabbit is seen or scented and then allow the dog to chase bunny into a hole...

sam03
Ordeal

Re: I got an extremely intelligent Beagle yesterday

Post by sam03 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 am

Where are the pictures? New puppy and no pictures..... :nono
I like animals, they are tasty!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 am

I would try to hook up with some hunters using experienced dogs and ask to let yours run with the pack. When I was younger I can remember rabbit hunting up north and a guy losing two young dogs that never came back to the hunting party. I swear they ran them rabbits clear across the county.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

ALTUCK
scout

Post by ALTUCK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Pup is just right to start training.
Get a dead rabbit, roadkill or otherwise, put the carcass on a string and drag it around in an open area (backyard if big enough, a pasture would be better).
Don't let the dog see you doing this.
Wait a little while and then walk the pup where she will cross the track. Let the pup work the track out. Then reward her.
It would be good to work her with other older dogs, but she can turn in to a pack dog instead of a trail dog if done to much.
I prefer a good trail dog to another pack hound.
As far as hunting is concerned, if the rabbit (or deer) is not pushed hard, he will circle around to where he was jumped.

Altuck

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Re: I got an extremely intelligent Beagle yesterday

Post by Hoss74 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:25 pm

sam03 wrote:Where are the pictures? New puppy and no pictures..... :nono

My wife took the picture.. I can't get a good profile shot..she keeps wanting to look at the camera lol

ALTUCK wrote:Pup is just right to start training.
Get a dead rabbit, roadkill or otherwise, put the carcass on a string and drag it around in an open area (backyard if big enough, a pasture would be better).
Don't let the dog see you doing this.
Wait a little while and then walk the pup where she will cross the track. Let the pup work the track out. Then reward her.
It would be good to work her with other older dogs, but she can turn in to a pack dog instead of a trail dog if done to much.
I prefer a good trail dog to another pack hound.
As far as hunting is concerned, if the rabbit (or deer) is not pushed hard, he will circle around to where he was jumped.

Altuck
I'll try that thanks. Seems like like something reasonable I can do, and it definitely could help me during the hunting season to have a trail dog

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Ok....took her outside and got a couple profile shots. Don't make fun of the pink. My wife got that.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Good looking pup.

Sent from my killphone.

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Great looking dog. It sounds like you are going to have your hands full. If you keep that dog occupied, you will have a great dog that will work hard to please you.

If not, you'll have a good looking dog that will intentionally do things you hate just to piss you off. Thus getting your attention. It certainly sounds like you have great plans for her. Good luck!
Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 pm

You can train it with a dead rabbit or rabbit scent as suggested but the good thing about rabbits is they will circle alot in a small area once jumped by dogs normally (unlike a deer). We train all our deer puppies on rabbits in 1-2 acre pens to jump start them on hunting. If you can find a rabbit pen nearby then that'll let her do her thing and keep her safe without collars.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”