Raw diet?

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Raw diet?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 am

Does anyone here feed their dogs a raw diet? I am seriously considering switching my 2 to raw. My female is basically the reason. No matter what we feed her she smells and her teeth constantly get plaque build up faster than any dog I have ever seen. And her breath will knock a buzzard of a gut wagon.
What are the pros/cons of it?
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Raw diet?

Post by treefarmer » Mon May 12, 2014 10:27 am

One of our daughters really believes in the raw meat/bone diet for her Dachshunds. She feeds them turkey necks most of the time but sometimes beef rib bones, pork neck bones. It is amazing to watch these little dogs gobble bones and all! She started doing this when her 1st Dachshund was quite old and failing. The old dog perked up and her coat and skin improved and she displayed a lot more energy during her last year. She has 3 Dachshunds from 8 years old down to a year and a half and that is their diet and they appear to be very healthy. We even freeze venison scraps and bones in small bags so that she doesn't have to bring their feed when she comes to the farm for a visit. Probably a lot of info on the internet, both pro and con.
Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Don't have any insight into this diet but seen something this weekend that relates. I was at an award ceremony for my boys flag football team up at the school on Saturday. There was a woman standing near me with a 3 yo German Shepard, beautiful female dog, all black except for the feet. Well behaved, listened and wasn't freaking out with all the commotion, must of been 65 screaming kids running all over the place. I got to talking to this lady and she mentioned her dog was on a raw meat/bone diet. A few kids walked up and tried to give this dog pizza, being as polite as she was, the dog would take the pizza from their hands then set it on the ground, no interest in eating it all. Seen her do it 3 different times. She knew what real food was and pizza wasn't it. If you decide to go that direction, I would be interested in how it works out for you.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm

I've read quite a bit on it now for a few weeks. I think I am going to make the switch. The hardest part is going to be keeping my family in line with it. It is an all or nothing switch, so there won't be any store bought treats or any of that kind of stuff. And my mom likes to give them handouts from time...er....all the time. That is going to be difficult to stop

The straw that broke the camels back was last night. I was watching TV with my female dog in the chair with me. She rolled towards me and her breath was so bad I had to swap her around and have the other end pointing towards me for some relief
:puke
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Tue May 13, 2014 9:45 pm

We have fed raw for about 1 1/2 years. Old and young. We had a couple that got skin allergies, to the corn in dog food and now their coat is shiny and soft with no allergies. The brisket bone is one of the best. It is soft enough that they can eat it without damaging their teeth. After you feed it, you will be amazed that they don't need that much to maintain weight. Teeth are white, breath not bad, but the gas sometimes would make any little boy proud lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 am

I tried to start my 2 wieners on raw a couple months ago. Thy didn't want anything to do with it. SInce I got my cur dog I started her on raw on day 1. She is doing really well on it. I think I am going to try the 2 wieners again as I have learned a lot since then. If I can get them to take to it, I think they will benefit from it. My female has so many health concerns and seems to be allergic to everything. I've had her at the vet 2x this week due to hives.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 am

I feed my catahoula raw scraps often. He likes it all.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Since the dogs are having some issues, the raw meat diet might really help them. You know a dog is like a child when it comes to eating. Don't worry if the they only want "fancy dog food", when they get really hungry they will learn to eat what you set out for them.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 pm

treefarmer wrote:Since the dogs are having some issues, the raw meat diet might really help them. You know a dog is like a child when it comes to eating. Don't worry if the they only want "fancy dog food", when they get really hungry they will learn to eat what you set out for them.
Treefarmer
Farmer you took the words right out of my mouth. As my Momma use to say "Hungry makes a good sauce!"

:saluting
Bossman

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”