Looking for a trail dog

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Looking for a trail dog

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:38 pm

A little video on Sadie. I try a few times a week (weather and time permitting) to lay a scent line to her food bowl. I drag a scrap piece of food or the absorbent pads in the bottom of packs of meat. I learned to play the wind doing this, because if the wind is blowing from the food bowl to us, she will wind it and just run right to it. I drug this out and let it age a couple hours. The wind was blowing away from us and she about got to it before I could get my cell cam on. Lol. She overran it a couple times but corrected herself, which I am proud of

Haven't been able to put her on the real deal yet. I haven't shot S*** and not hunting this weekend due to the weather
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWzk3egVboM
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Dam she is growing fast. She moves fast on the trail. Can't wait to see her on a real trail!!
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:06 am

Yeah she is growing like a weed. She's doubled in size easily
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Looks good
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Latest training video. I drug a deer leg about 300 yards, waited a couple hours and went and got her. We had gone about 50 yards already before I turned the camera on. (I have 2 vacant houses next to me so I have a bit of room to do this)
She blew by it at the end, but worked it out and found it. I have no doubts she can work the real deal. Just loses attention here and there, but that will come with experience. If she gets off the line she is able to zigzag and get back on it.

This has been a blast working with her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MOGs8 ... MOGs8TzDs)

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:47 pm

She is looking good!
I like animals, they are tasty!

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Looks good. have you blood trailed with her yet?
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:57 am

No I have a big skunk on my back so far this season. I wanted to put her on the buck my buddy shot but a night track with zero blood is not how I wanted for her first track

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:06 am

Just be sure to film that first real deer trail. She knows what she is there for and will turn out great. I also see that you're draging the leg around with a 4 wheeler. That is really good to keep your scent away. keep us posted.
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:29 am

Actually those are lawnmower tracks from the lawn crew that keeps up these foreclosures. I wear rubber boots and spray them before I walk the drag line
I hope to be able to put her on something this weekend. Heading out in a couple hours

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:42 pm

The pup is doing great man. I read some where that using stomach contents and the liver from a deer is a good method too because alot of times when a dog is needed, thats just what your dealing with, a gut shot. I know I have trailed deer before when we would find chunks of corn or acorn between the light blood drops so I guess it makes good sense. Idk but it may be something you might want to mix in the training later. It may help her be more familiar with what she could encounter if you really really need her. Good luck..

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Well, Sadie May is 1 for 1 on recoveries.....

Saturday I shot a deer and had no idea how or where it was hit. I had to turn completely around in my gunslinger to even get on it. With the cloud of smoke I could not see anything and had no idea where it went. I waited a few, climbed down and found very little blood, and it was dark. The blood was spotty at best. I followed it about 20 yards into the edge of the woods. Found where the deer ran into a tree with a big smear on it, and did not see any blood past that. The hammock opened up and I did not see the deer laying anywhere, so I decided to back out and go to camp and get my dog. A friend was staying at my place that was hunting his property. He was getting in from the morning hunt and I told him not to take his boots off just yet.

We loaded up and went back out there. I walked her in there to the blood and she went right to work. Problem was there was 3 deer together and I wasn't for sure she would stay on the one I shot.(Plus some turkeys had walked thru there a few minutes before. She smells our pet turkey all the time here at the house so she may have been on that too) She got off the trail twice( I am sure on the other deer), so I walked her right to the tree where the smear was and she sniffed it out and took a straight line. I let her go for a little bit and I could see walking deer tracks in the mud. I pulled her off of that and walked her back to the smear on the tree. She kept wanting to go to our left from that spot and I couldn't figure out why. Finally I dropped the leash and let her work. Had no idea where she was going as she was almost doubling back the way we came in. We went about 50 yards and I looked down and saw blood so I knew she was on it. Went a few more yards and she picked her nose straight up in the air. I looked straight ahead and saw the deer laying about 25 yards ahead of us. The deer had somehow made it 100 yards total. No idea how as its lungs were liquid

I was very proud of her. This is the reason I got her. I have spent many hours working her on mock trails. And to see her find one on her first try is one of my happier moments

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Great work for her! I know you are proud!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:04 pm

That dog will hunt. Great job!
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:20 pm

That's great to hear! My 1st experience with our "blood trailer" came as a result of shooting a little buck and seeing him pile up about a 100 yards from where he was shot. Went back to the house and got the dog and put her on the track where the deer was standing when he was shot, blood and hair on the ground. She found him and I have done this each time that it has been convenient to put her on the track, especially when hunting here at home. (The avatar I'm using is her checking her 1st "find".) Most times I see the deer pile up from the shooting house and she's not needed but doing this still allows her to remember what to do if it was a real "lost deer". She has found 2 really "lost" bucks that I had no idea where they ended up after being hit. She is a February born dog and she began blood trailing before her 1st birthday. Consider letting your pup "find" all the deer she can, it's still real to her.
Treefarmer

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”