A little off season dog work

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

A little off season dog work

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun May 03, 2015 2:14 pm

SO I am absolutely overrun with hogs, to say the least. Took Sadie out Saturday afternoon. I left her at the truck and walked down to a feeder. Literally the easiest/quickest hunt of my life. I walked up to the feeder, pulled the cover off the motor, hit the test button, put cover back on, and backed off 40 yards. I sat flat on the ground and didn't even have time to get un-comfortable. Literally less than 5 minutes. They came out of the pines from the right, and crossed over the 4 wheeler road to the feeder. Now my plan was to gimp one and let it run off a ways so she could trail it up. I high shoulder shot the last hog to step out in the road and it ran towards the feeder and piled up. I was actually hoping it would get up and run off, but it stayed piled up. I didn't even walk over to it, just went back to the truck and got her. I walked her down there and the wind was blowing down the road to us. When we got 100 yards she was already winding it. She made a B-line right to it.
My goal is to let her "find" every single kill going forward, even if they are easy. So far she has found every single track I have put her on (mock and real).

Leaving the truck

Recovery

Daylight thru the hog. Lol. That 30-30 did some damage. Not sure how it moved as much as it did. SHoulders had to go in the gut bucket. Destroyed
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: A little off season dog work

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun May 03, 2015 2:26 pm

Here's one from a couple weeks ago. We go just about every afternoon to various parks on a good walk. On this day we left the truck and she was literally trying to drag me in one certain direction off of the trail. I corrected her, but she was adamant about going that way. I didn't let her, and we went on about our walk. Coming back to the truck, we got to the same spot and she went nuts again. I figured I would let her lead the way and see what it was about, and if it was a trash animal in there I would correct her. The last thing I expected to see was a dead deer laying there. SHe definitely surprised me on this one.....

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

spazhogdog
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by spazhogdog » Sun May 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Looks like she is doing good. Is that deers hind leg messed up?
You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Reality is not a democracy.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun May 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Yeah. Pretty sure it was hit by a car and dumped there

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun May 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Good post! What you described is exactly how "Flossie" learned to blood trail. Everytime I shoot a deer, I then bring her to the woods and let her find "her" deer. Several times just after I shoot she shows up looking for something. My avatar is a picture of her finding her 1st deer when she was a big ol' puppy. She's now 6 years old, still my wife's dog but she has saved the day several times for me over the years.
Treefarmer

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”