This is a true story.

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

This is a true story.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Its funny. About 2 years ago i purchased my first beagle "Dixie" At this time i had no idea about bloodlines and what not. I made the mistake of purchading my first pup from a pet store. I had no knowledge of what a puppy mill was.

Well i tried and tried with this pup, almost leaving her in the woods a couple of times.

She was my only pup, she was just slow, dumb, stupid, and inbread.

Well i just gave up on her last season and said shell be a pet and no more. I picked up my first weir creek pup "Ruby" and started to try to train her. Every day getting up early and taking her to the woods, leaving dixie in the kennel by herself. It felt bad to do but dixie was ruining my pack. Passing on bad habbits to the other pup and so on.

So Ruby just wasnt hunting or had started yet. So i picked up another Weir Creek pup "trudy" she was already hunting. So about a month later. Hunting everyday bout for a month straight, getting up early, loading up Ruby, and Trudy and sadly leaving Dixie at the kennel by her self, Rubys light switched. She started and i couldnt be happier.

I totally secluded dixie from the other 2 pups as her bad habbits were rubbing onto my hunting pups and that made me put her up for adoption.

Dixie was sad but kept her hope. I felt bad cause Dixie was my baby. My first beagle. Problem was she wanted to be a pet, didnt want to stay in a kennel, howled all night and i was just fed up witn this pup that just didnt fit my life style and was actually becoming a Nuesence. I tried and tried to give her away. Noone wanted her.

Well shes bout 2 years old now. Shes been through alot, left behind, secluded from the pack, no kennel mate, play time by herself and she only seen the other pups through a gate, no contact with my huntin pups at all.

Everyone told me shes shart, shoot her, shell never hunt. And they were right. But i kept hope cause i really love Dixie.

There she is no matter what i said to her, no matter how i seperated her, yellled at her, and pretty much quarintined her from my good dogs, she would allways wag her tail, jump up and be soooo happy to see me.

I love that dam pup.......

2 weeks ago she started..... Today she led a race..... She earned her tracking collar back. The same collar i stripped from her and gave to Ruby.

Well Dixie you started croom kennels and im proud to have you as part of the pack.

-Carl
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431918938.708654.jpg

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: This is a true story.

Post by Bossman » Mon May 18, 2015 5:51 am

They say that sometimes they are slow starters but usually that turn out to be some of the better ones of the bunch. We had a friend onetime that had a pack of beagles and would put them out on a deer track and when they struck had the prettiest voice. The sounded like a choir in a church. Funny thing was that nobody ever saw a deer in front of them. We think that they would just get out in the woods and sing for the hell of it.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

This is a true story.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:01 am

Lol. My pack has come a long way. And they have taught me alot. Now i got 3 started hounds and 1 pup thats only 2 months old that im starting to work with.

When my hounds strike its music to my ears!

My wife don't understand. She says why waste your time if your not gonna bring home meat.?

And i tell her, when the day comes and you realize its not bout the meat but the sweet music, then youll understand.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon May 18, 2015 6:35 am

My wife came up with a saying that is very true with dogs that "the brain fairy doesn't visit them till they are 2 years old." I told you a year ago that she was just young and hyper.
Back when I was dog hunting, you simply didn't have time to wait for a dog to develop when you are feeding 15 head
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 am

I just feel so bad for all the things i said too her, alienated her from her kennel mates, and tried to give her away.

Just feel like crap. But happy at the same time, but then sad cause she had to learn to stay.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:16 am

Great to hear - hope she gives you many seasons of success!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Shes finally come along!

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”