1st Deer Dog Drive of the Season - Close Up with Deer!

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

EBOutdoors
scout

1st Deer Dog Drive of the Season - Close Up with Deer!

Post by EBOutdoors » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Hey everyone it's been a few weeks since we posted. Things have been busy! But we're back... every year after Thanksgiving we head up to North Florida to run dogs. First drive of the year and it didn't dissapoint. The dogs run the deer right to me!

Happy holidays everyone!

Here's a video of the hunt...

youtu.be/3QX8cbKLTLU

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: 1st Deer Dog Drive of the Season - Close Up with Deer!

Post by treefarmer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Enjoyed y'all's video immensely! Brings back memories of 50 years ago. Of course we didn't have all the electronics y'all use today, we only had the CB radios, pickups, old jeeps and horses. Old men would have us younger guys ride with them so we could hear the dogs and tell them where to start lookin'. For a couple of years back in the early 70's a couple of us would go with the dogs on horseback. The woods consisted of cypress strands and ponds surrounded by palmetto and Gall berry flats that were burned every 2 or 3 years for woods cattle grazing. We would have a ring side seat when the dogs would jump, could tell what we were running. Lots of excitement with a good set of dogs and a horse you could shoot from more than once!
Treefarmer

EBOutdoors
scout

Post by EBOutdoors » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks treefarmer! That honestly sounds so cool. Don't get me wrong, using the gps and new technology is extremely exciting but I'd love to experience what you described. Can't even imagine what hunting on horseback would be like. Especially when you're high-tailin it to cut off the deer. Thanks for sharing

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Treefarmer brings back memories of when I use to run dogs with my two girls and would have to jump out and catch the dogs. Now we stick to still hunting it cheaper on the feed bill. We used the CB's and horses as well but gps technology was starting to come out as I was starting to get out of it. I remember we use to call the dogs that had those collars robo dogs.
Bossman

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Gets you hart racing.

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”