air boat for hunting?

Discuss all your Mudd Boats, Air Boats that you use for hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

rebelman
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

air boat for hunting?

Post by rebelman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:50 pm

guys, i was thinking about saving up for an airboat which will be used for hunting hog and getting into those places. what should i look for when buying one?
Tree Top Assasins. greatfully employed hunter

strunes
Tenderfoot

Re: air boat for hunting?

Post by strunes » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:53 pm

A friend that has one. Like I always say if it fu$$s, floats or flies rent it. :clap
It is what it is!

Backwoods
scout

Post by Backwoods » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm

PHOT0021.JPG

hunting off an airboat is fun, but like hellbilly said you have to becareful and respect them. i got thrown off mine and dislocated my elbow at the end of last hunting season. I wasnt showin out or driving like a fool just hit a stump in the saw grass pulling up on an island. So it can go from fun to bad real quick with one of them. And be prepared to spend money working on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 am

dude take one to cedar key scrub and you will be covered in hogs.. trust me. if i had an air boat i would be there tearing up the hog islands.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 pm

That's a sweet ride you got. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

number1gator
scout

Post by number1gator » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:50 pm

cr0ck1....when ya wanna go?...i got a AB. i go out of suwannee all the time

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:44 am

rebelman wrote:guys, i was thinking about saving up for an airboat which will be used for hunting hog and getting into those places. what should i look for when buying one?
It depends on where you intend on running the most. If you look around long enough, you'll see that airboats tend to follow designs that can be loosely associated with common regions throughout the state. For instance, The guys running around Kissimmee and Hatchineha and that central Florida area like the "Polk County" style boat....glass hull, front driver, rear double passenger on a "Russell Jacobs" style set metalworks or some variation on this genral theme.

The guys just a little farther east over towards the Upper St. Johns have a slightly different style but you see more aluminum hulls and a different style of metalwork.

Down south there's higher metalworks with a totally different style to them plus the hulls are yet again different, more sleds and less glass hulls.

All along the west coast you see the higher sided, bigger aluminum boats like GTO makes.

Now, this is just a generalization as boats of different sorts can be found all over, but the guys who are successful builders tend to stick with what they know and like that's what you'll see in their areas.

If you plan on running areas with rocks and such, a glass hull isn't the best choice unless you intend on getting good with patch kits or have some damn good polymer. If you intend on running dry for extended periods of time then a heavy aluminum boat with thick polymer isn't going to perform the way a light glass hull with slick bottom will.....it's all give and takes in the airboat game. AND WE DIDN"T EVEN TALK ABOUT ENGINES YET!!!! :cheers
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Return to “HUNTING BOATS FORUM”