Outboard Question/Verification

Discuss all your Fishing boats that you use here. Bass Boats, John Boats, Gheenoes, Canoes ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Outboard Question/Verification

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:42 pm

All right guys I have a questions or need my idea verified. In the pic I have outlined a part on my outboard (Honda 90hp 4 stroke). I think it is a type of fuel pump. I noticed yesterday it is starting to leak gas along the back edge. The problem is I do not see any wires coming out of it and all of my experiences with mechanical fuel pumps is that when they go out, they go out period, no on and off. The engine took turns running at full throttle and then half throttle all day yesterday on the river while I was on plane. I do not have a manual for the engine, any ideas or thoughts. It looks easy enough to replace, I would like to try to fix it myself and save the labor fees and markup on parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

redneck75
scout

Re: Outboard Question/Verification

Post by redneck75 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm

That is a vacuum-operated fuel pump...no wires. It uses suction from the engine to pull the gas up out of the tank. Anyhow...seal it from the outside if at all possible if it's still running properly. Those pumps have a diaphragm and a bunch of tiny parts in them that are a PITA to get put back together.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Outboard Question/Verification

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:38 pm

redneck75 wrote:That is a vacuum-operated fuel pump...no wires. It uses suction from the engine to pull the gas up out of the tank. Anyhow...seal it from the outside if at all possible if it's still running properly. Those pumps have a diaphragm and a bunch of tiny parts in them that are a PITA to get put back together.
I do believe the bottom one is having issues. I imagine the ethanol has probably eaten through some of the diaphragm or the seal. It sounds like it might be easier to swap out the entire thing.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Return to “FISHING BOATS FORUM”