Almost bought a new (to me) boat today

Discuss all your Fishing boats that you use here. Bass Boats, John Boats, Gheenoes, Canoes ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Almost bought a new (to me) boat today

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I have been trying for over a year now to find a trailer for my Gheenoe. Everything I see is either a rust bucket, too short, too long, too expensive...and the good ones get sold before I can get to them. I am at a point now where I just can't load my Gheenoe in the back of my truck anymore. Just too much trouble to load and unload everything 4 times. Plus my back can't take it. Had my little motor serviced on Friday, took it out today...and couldn't crank it
:censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

I was back home in an hour and on the internet looking for something else. I stumbled up on a Gheenoe package (boat/motor/trailer) that looked very nice at an "ok"price, but a little high. I sent the link to a buddy of mine and he agreed it was a bit high

I called the man, loaded up the family and rode across the bay to go see it. It is exactly what I am looking for. Perfect for fishing the river, and I can flats fish if I stay in close.
The trailer needs some work, but nothing drastic. The brackets that hold the bunks up are rusted and need replaced, Plus it will need leaf springs at some point in time. Easy fixes, but I tried to use them to my advantage on haggling
I made him a low ball figure and stated I am offering that because the trailer does need some $$ put into it(honestly about $100 total).
We haggled a bit and split difference on his asking and my offer. I stepped away to go talk to the wife. She knows I am frustrated with my current boat situation, and said she knows I would enjoy it...so to go for it. As he is walking inside to get the title and stuff I asked.."will you take a check?". He replied very quickly....absolutely not
I didn't really push the issue, because I would be leery of taking a check from someone I didn't know either. Just explained it is a Sunday and there is no way to get that kind of cash out with the banks closed
So, hopefully he still has it tomorrow and I will go back over there with cash and hopefully bring it home. He offered to hold it with a deposit, but I laughed and told him all the cash I had was what was in my poker sack which amounted to about $10..
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Almost bought a new (to me) boat today

Post by nachogrande » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:16 pm

good luck and hope you get it. I missed out on an Anshutz 22 lr target rifle for 500$ by a couple of seconds a while back. drove 45 min's to Tampa and just as I pulled up 5 min early, out walks someone else with MY gun. but I can understand after being kept waiting or stood up altogether. cash talks and BS walks.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 pm

If it's a good deal get the cash early. Good luck with it. I really like mine. I'm having it completely redone with decks and a platform in the next couple weeks.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Gheenoes rock. Did decks on mine and have loved it ever since. Catching gators, fishing.. hopefully duck hunting too. Good Stuff.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:58 pm

I ended up getting it. Been sick and my back is still out of whack so I can't even get excited about it yet. Sucks
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:31 pm

I have had several boats over the years only two do I really regret ever parting ways with.....my gheenoe and my 1st airboat. Both of them were outstanding, dependable boats to hunt and fish out of. One day I'll at least get me another gheenoe....
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I am going to be listing my other Gheenoe and kicker soon. Probably next week when I get over this mung I have

Return to “FISHING BOATS FORUM”