old 15 hp johnson

Discuss all your Fishing boats that you use here. Bass Boats, John Boats, Gheenoes, Canoes ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

old 15 hp johnson

Post by 30.06 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:11 pm

i bought a 4hp evinrude to get me on the water. it runs great, but it is a long shaft, and the boat is underpowered. my grampa had an old 15 hp johnson on the boat, from the 70s i think, that i am trying to get running. it looks like i will have to replace the foot, and i have taken the carb apart cleaned the gunk out of it, put back together, and i am going to try to get it back on tomorrow. i also got new plugs, and will see if i have spark tomorrow, if i get to it. anybody know anything about these old motors and can give me some knowledge i would appreciate it. it sure would get me on the flats faster. :boat
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

9dawgs

Re: old 15 hp johnson

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Hey 30.06 did you ever get that old Johnson running? I used to work on old antique outboards as a hobby until I got too busy. I have several but I've sold most of mine. Let me know if you need any advise. Not sure I could be much help but I'll give it a shot. There used to be a club called the Antique Outboard Motor Club of America that I was a member of. Not sure if they're around anymore but I gained a LOT of know-how from those folks.

Star Scout

Re: old 15 hp johnson

Post by 30.06 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:03 pm

9dawgs, i did get it running, however i am having trouble getting the foot off the motor to do the impeller and seals and such. i also bought a 9.9 force to get me moving quicker and more seaworthy that runs like a top. getting ready to sell my 4hp evinrude. i will look up that club, and when i get back to doing things like that after healing up i will let you know what problems i am having. thanks
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Return to “FISHING BOATS FORUM”