My skiff! 11'10"

Discuss all your Fishing boats that you use here. Bass Boats, John Boats, Gheenoes, Canoes ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Re: My skiff! 11'10"

Post by Papa_J » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:10 pm

2" schedule 40 PVC with a T at both ends, filled with spray foam. Makes it rigid and it will float if you drop it in the water.

flhuntfish
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by flhuntfish » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:16 pm

sometimes you still need a push pole rad! :lol: sometimes shallow water with weeds doesnt mix with a trolling motor :toast

HeneryHawk
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HeneryHawk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

rad07h wrote:You can also put a trolling motor mount on the front for a trolling motor
I have a idea on that too. My dad use to have a 2"x6" bolted across it for the trolling motor but I was thinking of using a piece of 3"x3" aluminum angle trimmed up. I want try flats fishing but boat will probably end up in freshwater 99% of the time.
Last edited by HeneryHawk on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm

MAn you did one fine job with that boat.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 pm

For a cheap push pole you can also get a 20' closet rod at HD or Lowes. You can get a cheap plastic T and end point on the web from a few different guys on some of the shallow water sites. I think a closet rod is the same size as 1" pvc and you can make your own ends also. On my gheenoe I got some velcro ties at walmart for like 2 bucks and they work good to strap the pole to the rub rail mounts for a bimini top. The pvc and foam idea sounds good but if the foam gets wet I would think it's gonna get heavy real quick. And pushing a boat with a heavy pole all day sucks. JMHO Also a smaller pipe may be easier to use all day. Maybe 1" or 1 1/4" sch. 80 pvc would work and with the ends capped it should float no problem and be rigid enough. I've also heard of guys using the telescopic aluminum poles used to clean pools.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:52 pm

cap the ends of the pvc, no leaks
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

strunes
Tenderfoot

Post by strunes » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 pm

HeneryHawk wrote:The back of the boat sits about 8" deep and the front just a couple of inches. I've never been out on the flats so I didn't know how big the waves are or if people will try to swamp the boat with their wakes. I did take it in the Weeki Wachee and it runs pretty shallow, I was thinking I could raise the motor to give me another 3" or 4" of clearance. I might try to attend a boating coarse or ride with someone else in their boat first so I know what to look for.

If you can run the Weekie you will do fine in the flats, just watch the rocks. North of New Port Richey, the bottom is very rocky and you can really screw up a boat and motor, trust me I learned the hard way... Also 99.99% of boaters are cool and they will not try to swamp you with a wake.
It is what it is!

HeneryHawk
scout

Post by HeneryHawk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 pm

strunes wrote:
HeneryHawk wrote:The back of the boat sits about 8" deep and the front just a couple of inches. I've never been out on the flats so I didn't know how big the waves are or if people will try to swamp the boat with their wakes. I did take it in the Weeki Wachee and it runs pretty shallow, I was thinking I could raise the motor to give me another 3" or 4" of clearance. I might try to attend a boating coarse or ride with someone else in their boat first so I know what to look for.

If you can run the Weekie you will do fine in the flats, just watch the rocks. North of New Port Richey, the bottom is very rocky and you can really screw up a boat and motor, trust me I learned the hard way... Also 99.99% of boaters are cool and they will not try to swamp you with a wake.
We went up the weeki wachee Sat. boy with all the tubers and swimmers it was hard to come back down it. In front of the Christian Camp there had to be 30 kids in the water about 5-6' apart and none would move to let you thru. It was the one time I wish the little motor had reverse.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 am

Find you a good piece of bamboo for the push pole. Light, strong, floats, and environmentally friendly! Can double as a frog gig handle!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

HeneryHawk
scout

Post by HeneryHawk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Well took the little skiff out to Bayport today. Its tippy, and with the way I have the rear seat alittle off center it makes the boat sit crooked. I think a deck front and rear are in order. We caught a bunch of pinfish and small grunts for bait. I wish I could have caught a little bit bigger grunt. I lost a nice Red as soon as I seen him, he let go as if he was never hooked. Caught plenty of hardhead catfish... I need tips on how to fish flats because I do not know what I am doing. Other boaters were nice and respectful, with the exception of one that blow by me about 30' away and his wake came over the side because I did not turn into the wake quick enough. All in all a great day with Dad. Born and raised in Brooksville and never tried fishing out there, now I see what I was missing.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Very nice boat! You did a greta job on it. Some of our fishermen will surely jump in and give you some advise. Wish I could help... Sorry!

Return to “FISHING BOATS FORUM”