Replacing Boat Trailer Parts

Discuss all your Fishing boats that you use here. Bass Boats, John Boats, Gheenoes, Canoes ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Replacing Boat Trailer Parts

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Had a bunk bracket snap due to saltwater corrosion. I am going to replace all 4 this weekend while I have the boat off the trailer. While investigating parts I started thinking about replacing the carpeted bunk boards with a composite board similiar to the stuff they use for docks. No more rotting wood!! Has anyone tried this? Would you feel secure trailering your boat directly on this or would you move to a ez slide trailer pad in addition? My boat is light, a 16' flats boat. Also, it is hard to find stainless brackets here in town, if galvanized is all I can find what would you recommend to coat it with that I could do myself to help slow down the saltwater. It sucks, my entire trailer is aluminum but most of the brackets and hardware are galvanized.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Replacing Boat Trailer Parts

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Wish I had the answer for you.
I rebuilt a trailer for a flats boat I had several years ago. Everything had to be replaced. All the bolts had to be cut off with a angle grinder or torch. Back then I actually had some money, and if I knew what a problem it was going to be, I would have bought a new trailer and been done with it. Salt water sucks
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:36 pm

I hear ya. The u-bolts are still in good condition but all the nuts and washers are too far gone. I hope I do not have to cut them off, I was hoping a small torch and some heat would do the job.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm

We rebuilt a trailer a few years ago and used galvanized hardware. After all was in place we coated the axle, springs, hardware, etc. with undercoating. Sold the boat and trailer about 3 years ago to a cousin up in Plant City and last I heard he was still using it regularly, still hasn't had to do anything to trailer but grease/change bearings.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:24 pm

When replacing the bunks try not to put anything on that is too slick. It's too easy to have the boat slide off when you don't want it to on the ramp. I would think the composite would be a little too hard on the hull also over time. Cover it with carpet again and you'll be good to go. I started taking my boats to a carwash on the way back from fishing. First thing I do is a serious washdown of the trailer with high pressure and it has helped slow down any rusting. 15 min. and I have a nice clean boat and trailer.

HeneryHawk
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HeneryHawk » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:35 pm

DONY1 wrote:When replacing the bunks try not to put anything on that is too slick. It's too easy to have the boat slide off when you don't want it to on the ramp. I would think the composite would be a little too hard on the hull also over time. Cover it with carpet again and you'll be good to go. I started taking my boats to a carwash on the way back from fishing. First thing I do is a serious washdown of the trailer with high pressure and it has helped slow down any rusting. 15 min. and I have a nice clean boat and trailer.
I second the not to slick thing. I waxed the carpet on my bunks and it will unload before you get down the ramp unless tied up.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:52 pm

I like to load and unload the flats boat myself and it's alot easier without slicking up the bunks.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Am I fool to think you should be able to purchase square bend u-bolts at Home Depot? I asked an employee working the hardware section and he looked at me like I was an idiot. Just picked up all the pieces to replace the bunks mounts this weekend and I am still missing the u-bolts.

Wouldn't you know they were all out of them in the marine section at Gander, atleast they had the bunk mounts with swivel heads still instock, I got the last 4. Guess I should of went to Basspro instead.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Not sure if you have one in the area but West Marine always has them. Seen them in Walmart too.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Lowe's usually has them, as do most DIY Hardware, TrueValue, etc.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:01 am

A Home Depot employee not knowing where something is????? Go figure.........
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:36 pm

My recommendation is Majoney's or Sturdy Built Trailer parts. Both are local and most of the time they have everything you need. Sturdy built has a good internet business too. http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Return to “FISHING BOATS FORUM”