Tenth Legion

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Tenth Legion

Post by milkman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:12 pm

I found it on amazon years ago. You can borrow mine.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by fishindad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Finally got to read the book. Just awesome! What a great author. I think I might read this to my son or have him read it before the 2014 season. Good stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 pm

I've never heard of the book either. Gotta check it out.

fishindad wrote:I live in the same area and a spot on a quota hunt if interested. Will send a PM.
We are pretty much neighbors. I live in Durant but tell people I'm in Plant City because nobody ever seems to have heard of Durant.

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re:

Post by milkman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:06 pm

fishindad wrote:Finally got to read the book. Just awesome! What a great author. I think I might read this to my son or have him read it before the 2014 season. Good stuff.

Glad you were able to read it. Two more that should be required reading for any turkey hunter are The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery and Turkey Hunting A One Man Game by Kenny Morgan. Both are great books. I would also recommend Illumination In The Flatwoods.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Milkman.... Looks like you just added more reading material to my list!

Born2hunt.... Don't know what this season holds yet. I know exactly where Durant is!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Also Tom Kelly the author of Tenth Legion has quite a few other books. I have three of his audio books that are read by him. It's great listening to him read his own books in his strong Alabama accent. It's amazing he was just a timber marker that could tell a story a became the most well known author of turkey hunting books. His comparison of deer hunters to turkey hunters is my favorite part of tenth legion.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I know this thread is 5 years old. I finally got around to getting "Tenth legion" on audio book. I have listened to all 4 cd's twice, and am on the 3rd go around now. Man how I never listened to this or read his books is beyond me. If anyone has ever turkey hunted or plans on it this should be required reading. Very informative stuff, plus he will have you peeing your britches laughing. I will be ordering some more of his audio books in the near future
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Rpd63
scout

Post by Rpd63 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Great book. Read it on my last cruise. Iluv2hunt, I see you live in Lutz, I think a buddy of mine just recently purchased a GPS from you.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Rpd63 wrote:Great book. Read it on my last cruise. Iluv2hunt, I see you live in Lutz, I think a buddy of mine just recently purchased a GPS from you.
Yeah, small world. He said a friend of his knew me from a forum. Didn't know who he was talking about. Only reason I got rid of that GPS is I got a dog tracking system with a GPS. His eyes got big as dinner plates when my pet turkey came waddling around the corner to say hello!!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Rpd63
scout

Post by Rpd63 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Yea, he told me about your turkey. Lol. You and I have never met but by the way my buddy was describing you and that you worked in the pest control business, I put two and two together. Did you do any good on the turkey quota draws?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Funny on the quota draws. I had dismal results on the deer-hog-m/l-, etc hunts this season. But I have drawn a fairly hard to get quota in the general draw, and have picked up 3 other permits on the redraws. And all of them within an hour drive of the house. Go figure. Hopefully my luck is changing for when the bear quotas come about

Rpd63
scout

Post by Rpd63 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:31 pm

I know what you mean about the quota draws, been a tough year. I have not picked up a redraw yet. Pm sent.

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”