Tenth Legion

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Tenth Legion

Post by milkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Who all here has read the Tenth Legion? I personally think it should be required reading for anyone starting to turkey hunt. I read it at least twice a year and it never gets old. The colonel has a way to describe this addiction like no other.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Tenth Legion

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Never heard of it. I'll see if I can find it for my kindle
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:56 pm

I can't believe you've never heard of it. If you can't find it I will loan you my copy.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Sounds like a good Viking movie.............
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

You mite need this book to pass the time while you wait for old tom.............
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS

ROLL TIDE

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 pm

The first copy of this book was published in 1973. Tom Kelley is a legendary author on turkey hunting. Have you ever heard somebody say they are a member of the tenth legion? Everybody owes it to themself to read this book. It's not instructional its just about the love and lure of the sport of turkey hunting.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Looks like he has a bunch of books out. I will get it for my kindle on my ipod. That's the most convenient way to read books in the stand
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Milkman were do you live and how many turkeys have you killed? If you are close buy would meet up for a hunt.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS

ROLL TIDE

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I live in Valrico a suburb of Tampa. I have killed 16 gobblers. I killed my first in 99. You may find someone with more kills than me but you won't find somebody with more live of turkey hunting than me. I have helped others get birds but I have killed 16. I am always looking for more hunting friends and would love to share a hunt. I also love cooking in my grill,drinking an adult beverage and my family. If you have any doubts about me ask dony1 he can attest I'm just a good ole boy who loves turkey hunting.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 pm

I live in the same area and a spot on a quota hunt if interested. Will send a PM.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm

my first was in 84, walked across the road from the farmhouse shortly before dawn, went 50-75 yds into the woods, found a nice little depression to sit in with a fallen tree for cover and to lean against at the base of a ridge. when light enough to see the bead on the end of my m.b. pump, I hit one note on a cheap plunger type call taped to the bbl with a string to my finger, and a tom sounds off not 25' away, bang flop, beginners luck at the max. thought to myself at the time, man this is easy, lol. the funniest/strangest things always seem to happen during turkey season.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 am

Mm is good people guys. Been too long since we got to hunt together though. Anyone know how I can find this book on my iPad? I checked but couldn't find it.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Looks like this book is available for Kindle from Amazon. WOW an actual print for that book is worth some dough! I like to get print books but I think I will get that one on my Nexus tablet instead. Looks like they have 2 of his books available.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:21 pm

If you get paperback its not expensive or you can borrow mine.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Paperback is nowhere to be found. I did find that the author has a site up. http://www.tomkellyinc.net/catalog/ They are based in Lakeland of all places!

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”