Decoys

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

daveh49
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Decoys

Post by daveh49 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm new to turkey hunting, looking to buy some decoys any recommendations for what would work best here in central Fl. Also price is a consideration as I see some of them cost a fortune. Thanks

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Decoys

Post by swissk31 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:18 pm

My first turkey killed came into a blowup hen. He wasn't to sure about it and stopped coming in at a point, but it was to late for him. I have up graded to a fairly realistic foam ones, very easy to carry. I have a jake but don't usually use it. By the way I am only hunting public land so having a tom decoy would be quite dangerous.

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Decoys

Post by milkman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:40 pm

You don't need decoys to kill turkeys. Become proficient with calling,learn the turkeys vocabulary. Set up where the turkey can't see your spot until he's in range. You'll get a lot more satisfaction knowing you killed that bird with calling and woodsmanship rather than relying on a decoy. Decoys can also ruin hunts for you.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”