Mouth calls

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Mouth calls

Post by swissk31 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:53 pm

OK I'm in need of a new mouth call and I figured I'd get some opinions.
so whats your preferred brand and type or do you make your own?

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Mouth calls

Post by Bossman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:27 pm

I take it that you're meaning a turkey call... It all depends on how good you are be cause the more reads the harder to tone. I've made my own before and killed with them but it is just a lot quicker to buy them. This might be opening a can of worms... "You Tube"

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:37 pm

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 pm

First I bought an assortment pack and tried them out. Some I could only make one call with others I could make a couple. Found the one with a v slice was one I could work ok. I moved up to a youth model of the same cut because I have a small mouth. Something good to know and heard it once in a u tube. Much better since I went with the youth model. I'm just not finding anything that tells me ... the one with two cuts on each side does this, and the one with multiple slightly angled v cuts does that, and if the back side it shorter it will do that. Or is it just personal choice?

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I love Hooks calls. I too have a smaller pallet and for me there normal calls don't require any trimming. They also have a combo package of small frame calls that are all good. I'm also a fan of pecker wrecker mouth calls. Kevin Farr used to make calls for Tom Teaser and now has started pecker wrecker. XT calls are very good also. All of the three I listed are very easy to run and are made by very good people.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”