Youth Turkey Hunt Success

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:44 am

Well after much anticipating turkey season is here . Me and Jr did some scouting a week before his hunt and found some birds . We got there at 5:30 and started making our way in through one of the thickest foggy mornings I've ever hunted . We were setup by 6 and awaiting for the first glimpsed of daylight to appear . As we waited for daylight . I ran him through a couple of scenarios of how things should go . The woods started coming to life with the sounds of birds and crows and not a gobble from nowhere . The fog had em a little locked jaw . Finally had one gobble in front about 120-150 yards , then another behind a little further . Exactly where I wanted to be , right in between . I made a few purrs and yelps and the one in front gobbled twice and the one in back also gobbled . The fog was terrible , I could only see about 60 yards . Called a few more times and the front one never responded but the back bird was responding and on the ground . I yelped a few more times and he was closer . About 7:45 it was real quiet and I could hear hens in back area . I knew we had to move to get on him . I glassed the area in front to make sure another wasn't sneaking in quiet . I was just about to creep up and I see one running right at us . I told Jr to get ready and if he sees him . He says yes , and as soon as the bird is passing some brush , he gets the gun up . The bird comes in and sees the jake decoy and stops , I say shoot . Nothing happens and I look and he hasn't even cocked the hammer . I can hear him breathing heavy , I say c0ck the hammer and shoot him . The bird gets nervous from the jake decoy and starts going to our left . We have an opening I made through the brush and as soon as he gets there I yelp and stopped him . Once again I tell him shoot him . He can't see em good and the bird keeps on going . Jr is all bent out of shape , I calmed him down and said I'll bring him back lets give em a few minutes . A couple minutes pass and I purred and yelped a couple of times and when I peeked to my left he's running back to us . I told Jr this is it buddy , you gotta shoot him now . He passes through our first shooting lane , Jr raises the gun ready and cocked . The bird appears in front at 18 yards I yelped to stop him and Boom !!! . All I see in slow mode is the birds head rock backwards and flopping . Jr says I got him and begins to shake . Nothing better than that right there . I was extremely proud and high fived and hugged him . Jr was shaking shivering and a smile you could see through the facemask . Thank you Lord for making it happen and for us to enjoy your wonderful creation . 3" beard 1/2" spurs and I believe it was 14 lbs .
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Awesome man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam03
Ordeal

Re: Youth Turkey Hunt Success

Post by sam03 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Great work JR! Jr is going to need a trophy room soon!
I like animals, they are tasty!

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Good job ,congrats.

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Congratulations to both of you. That's a great story. Do you think that was the bird you heard gobbling or just one trying to get a little early action?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Re:

Post by down4dacount » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm

milkman wrote:Congratulations to both of you. That's a great story. Do you think that was the bird you heard gobbling or just one trying to get a little early action?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
No he's just trying to get action . The one gobbling infront went away from us . Im pretty sure . I'll be there looking for him saturday . He's a big boy .
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Good job to Jr.! You two are single handedly going to put Deer,Turkey, Ducks and Hogs on the endangered species list down there!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:27 am

Awesome!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Kortsman wrote:Good job to Jr.! You two are single handedly going to put Deer,Turkey, Ducks and Hogs on the endangered species list down there!
:chain :bbq :toast
ShotKam Prostaff

daveh49
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by daveh49 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am

You go DAD!!!!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Awesome!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Joshuaagom
scout

View the latest post

Post by Joshuaagom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:34 am

Very Nice That is something I would love to do but I never will .
So , how do you cook a big old tom like that?

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Re: View the latest post

Post by down4dacount » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:40 am

Joshuaagom wrote:Very Nice That is something I would love to do but I never will .
So , how do you cook a big old tom like that?
we cut breast in strips and wrap in bacon . Place on bbq , when bacon done , breast is done . Eat
ShotKam Prostaff

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”