Let's talk Turkey loads and chokes

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Let's talk Turkey loads and chokes

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Picked up an aftermarket cantilever turkey barrel for the 1187. It came with a Remington choke labeled Trky Super Full...lead shot only. In an effort to save time, $ & frustration, figured I'd ask the group if anyone had used this choke before and if you have, what loads worked best for you.

What combo is everyone else using out there this year?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Let's talk Turkey loads and chokes

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:10 pm

I am going to tell you my experience with Remington turkey chokes. I have seen this very thing happen in 3 different guns with various ammo. Shot on paper, the pattern will be in a "banana" shape. Don't ask me why, but that's what I have witnessed with my dads old 870, my 870 supermag, and a buddies 20ga 1100.
I bought a Tru Glo after market choke/fiber optic sight and it improved patterns immensely on my gun. Since then I had a major overhaul done on my gun (barrel cut down, forcing cone lengthened, mirror polishing, reddot scope and a Kicks gobblin thunder choke) and it is a turkey killing machine. I am shooting the Winchester HV #5's, in 3.5". If I was going to go buy ammo right now over the counter I would get the Winchester Long beards first. Second choice would be the Magnum Blend in 5,6,7's.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Let's talk Turkey loads and chokes

Post by Bossman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:22 pm

I have used the super full turkey and honestly never pattern many different loads... I like the way my gun patterns Nitro mag #2's and have killed birds way out... 50 yards and he is in the pot! any more I don't kill but about one a year for the simple fact that I would rather just call them in and take pictures. There is no limit on the pictures you take and turkey meat does nothing for me. I'm a NitroMag kinda guy!/color]

:saluting
Bossman

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”