Jelly headed a good one

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Jelly headed a good one

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:19 pm

SO, this season has been off to a weird start. Pretty much all my turkeys disappeared off camera mid February. Last weekend on the youth hunt, my son and I did not hear a bird anywhere in 3 sits. Nothing. Zip. I could not get him into the area I wanted to hunt due to the high water level in the woods, so we only hunted 1 spot.
Come this weekend, on Saturday I made a bee line to where I wanted to go last weekend. I sat in a blind I put up back in January. I called in 2 lone hens about 30 min after daylight. They passed right thru and never paid my calling any mind. I sat till 11, then 2:30 till almost dark with nothing going on. It was a turkey ghost town
I get up this morning and decided to go to where my son and I hunted last weekend. I knew there was birds in there, and between he and I we have killed like 8-9 out of there in 4 seasons. Plus I had left our makeshift blind intact so I could go sit in it.
Walking in the pitch black this morning, I spooked what I believe to be a bobcat. I can't say for sure, but it sounded like a cat scream. When it did a turkey gobbled from the roost. I didn't get a good pinpoint on him, but figured he was close enough to the tram to not try and go any closer and bump him out. SO I got my dekes up and got in my little blind. When it got gray light he started gobbling at owls only. He would not gobble at crows or woodpeckers or hawks, just owls. I tree yelped one time and he did not answer. Judging by his sound he sounded about 60-70 yards away. I heard him fly out at 7:3 and when he did I started cutting. He answered, but was leaving the premises. He gobbled a few times till he was out of hearing. I sat there second guessing myself for not trying to get closer.
At 8:00 I looked up and there were 2 hens standing in the middle of my 2 decoys. I watched them a couple minutes and figured this is how my weekend will end...4 hens and an old gobbler that took me to school.. I caught movement out of my right side and saw a snow white head coming thru the bushes. I eased the gun barrel up on a stick and got ready. When they cleared the bushes it was 2 mature toms in full strut, walking side by side. For a brief second I had both heads lined up for a 2 for 1...the lead tom obviously couldn't stand the jake decoy, so he came out of strut and went and kicked the crap out of it. When he did the second tom had his neck stretched out, so I let the 870 speak..

The beard was just shy of 11". Not thick paint brush,but long. It had 1 spur that was right at 1 1/2" and the other had been broken off at some point in life. Some people that have seen the pic say it is a real old bird. Definitely one of my more memorable birds and finally killed one that can hang on a limb

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Rpd63
scout

Re: Jelly headed a good one

Post by Rpd63 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Very nice. Congrats. Did you get to weigh it?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:43 pm

No I don't have a small scale up there. I don't want to guess, but he was definitely a heavy bird
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Rpd63
scout

Post by Rpd63 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:14 pm

We managed to tag team one off a local WMA. We didn't have a permit for opening weekend so we gave one of the non quota areas a try. Plenty of people but we still managed to get away from everyone.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:37 pm

At least we've got 2 real turkey hunters in the bunch :rolleyes ! Good job fellers.
Treefarmer

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Sweet. good job

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am

Nice!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Sweet deal on the baggin of a jelly...

:saluting
Bossman

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Nice Allen! Paint scheme on the stock is a nice touch also!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks man. Those are just stickers on the stock. I am going to have my gunsmith cerakote this gun after season is over and try and have him incorporate the turkey tracks into the paint scheme

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 am

ATTENTION ALL TURKEY CHASERS
Y'all remember these things are still in the woods, be mindful of where you sit or kneel waitin' on ol' Tom to take his last step!
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 am

Thats a healthy one. Looks like it just ate too

Forester
scout

Post by Forester » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:58 am

Nice birds.

How do you like that Truglo sight? I was thinking about getting one.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 am

Nice guys!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Forester wrote:Nice birds.

How do you like that Truglo sight? I was thinking about getting one.
I love it. Some said it wouldn't hold up to magnum loads, but it has so far. And I have shot a ton of them thru this gun. A scope of some sort is almost a necessity the way these turkey loads shoot nowadays

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”