Has Turkey research gone to far?

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Has Turkey research gone to far?

Post by Bossman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I for one am no expert turkey hunter but love to call and spend time in the woods listening to turkeys gobble. I have hunted for over 40 years and usually take a week off during spring turkey season to hunt turkeys. In the last several years I have taken more pictures of turkeys than birds that I have killed. This year I had several different things come up each week and never got a chance to break the decoys out. I was hoping to at least make it the last weekend but sure enough got called out of town the last weekend. This year I did notice that I haven’t seen the number of birds in the fields and roaming around like I have in the past. You know the place that you can always count on see birds, or slow down on the way home from work to look for that ole tom strutting around. I understand the need for biologist to study turkeys and learn the breeding and survival habits so we might have a thriving population of turkeys. At some point research is no further helpful or other methods need to be looked at. I have a very good friend that has hunted with me in the past and is an avid hunter as well. The last weekend of the season on Sunday morning in NW Alachua county he had a gobbler commit suicide. After jumping up and running to catch his bird before he got away he had a real eye opener. The turkey was equipped with a tracking device and had a ban on its leg. I for one would had had an oops moment (OMG). He got the turkey home and began to clean the bird and noticed that it had a rather large callus on its back from toting the tracker around. Then he noticed that the breast was no good because it looked like it was all infected, so he bagged the bird up good and placed it in the freezer. He called FWC to report what had happen and learned that he was all in the clear and that the turkey was in a study and a biologist would come collect the collar and the bird to study it. While talking to FWC they told him that there was another hunter that had killed a tagged bird in Lake placid also that had the same issue. It makes you wonder what caused this to happen to turkeys and how it will affect the research of turkeys. Much less just what does that cell phone do to our bodies?

:saluting
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Has Turkey research gone to far?

Post by Bossman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:20 am

Oh man, that looks nasty. Sorry for your loss brother. It's a shame what happens in the name of "research".

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:58 am

it's a shame the bird was no good to eat but pretty damn cool to kill one with a tracker and band . Great bird too .
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:33 pm

I need to get me a turkey! Cool pics!!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”