Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Flhawghuntr
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Osceolas and Easterns

Post by Flhawghuntr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Here is a lil Map that shows the boundary according to the NWTF
Personally I think it is wrong and that the Easterns boundary stretches even farther 20 or 30 miles southward.
Here is a few Osceolas that I have taken recently Notice the darker wing barrings Easterns have barring close to Osceolas.
Osceolas seem to have a greener tenge and Easterns more a bronzed colors also.
I have also noticed that Esaterns tend to have thicker beards in general and are bigger in body weight.
Osceolas tend to be a lil more leggy meaning then seem to be a lil taller leg wise.
Really dark barring on wings
Here is a Osceola I took a pic of that was just south of me(PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A OSCEOLA)

Since I have not killed any Easterns I will grap a few pics from the web.

pair of Easterns

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Re: Osceolas and Easterns

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Good thread man. Thanks.

flhuntfish
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by flhuntfish » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Those are some really nice birds you have taken :rockon

That line looks way better then the one i said in another thread that it was SR 50. Last I heard SR 50 is the cutoff for Boone and Crocket scoring. That line makes WAY MORE sense.

swampman88
scout

Post by swampman88 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:34 am

i was born and raised in flordia and never killed an osceola shot at em never got one, went to tenessee and killed a nice eastern

flhuntfish

Post by flhuntfish » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:21 am

FLDXT wrote:In all honesty if you ask the true South FL turkey hunters (old timers) they will tell you that their are no true Osceola's north of Orlando. They say that you start getting into hybrid birds and such. I can tell you that "Osceola"s that I have killed in central FL are different then the birds we kill down here. They are slight differences but they are there.
Yea theres gonna be slight differences. The climate in south florida is way different then north florida. The turkeys over hundreds of years have adapted to the specific climate/surroundings to suite their needs. Plus there is better nutrition in the north because of more agriculture. Different vitamins and minerals in foods will also change the colors in the feathers a little bit.

Deer are the same way, bigger deer with bigger antlers-more agriculture in the north.

Flydown
scout

Post by Flydown » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:05 am

I hunt in Union County, which is just south of that red line, and I can assure you we have far more Easterns than Osceolas.
Jesus Saves and Obama Spends. Sounds like the anti-Christ to me.

Flhawghuntr
scout

Post by Flhawghuntr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Flydown wrote:I hunt in Union County, which is just south of that red line, and I can assure you we have far more Easterns than Osceolas.

You're right the line is wrong. Where you hunt I'd would bet that you actaully don't even have pure Osceolas and have more Hybrids than even Easterns.

flhuntfish

Post by flhuntfish » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:11 am

Well lets remember that turkeys will cross the "invisible line" without a problem. Just as easy as it is to cross state lines :toast

Flhawghuntr
scout

Post by Flhawghuntr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:08 am

flhuntfish wrote:Well lets remember that turkeys will cross the "invisible line" without a problem. Just as easy as it is to cross state lines :toast
It really has nothing to do with crossing a line but has everything to do with mixing of two sub species and their for have hybrids instead of pure Osceolas or Easterns.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm

There should be no line. There should be a big grey area that says "oceola/eastern/hybrid" that would make to much easier. Its like "pot luck diner" You never know what your gonna get!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

The WMA I hunt...the western boundary of that line runs thru the middle of it. So if a turkey is on one side of the road in Dixie county, he is an Osceola. If he flies across the road, he is now an Eastern.

Seriously, I've hunted that area my entire life and all the birds I've killed look pretty much Osceola. But, now I am in a lease just 10 miles up the road. The appearance of the birds is VERY different. A lot more characteristics of an Eastern. I would call them a hybrid, though. They still don't look like an Eastern killed in GA
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Mixed.

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:07 pm

That line means alot to the guys who pay big money to come down and shoot an Osceola. It doesnt mean much to us weekend wariors,but to the guy trying to get his slam that line is important.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

Flhawghuntr
scout

Post by Flhawghuntr » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 am

milkman wrote:That line means alot to the guys who pay big money to come down and shoot an Osceola. It doesnt mean much to us weekend wariors,but to the guy trying to get his slam that line is important.

That is true no doubt. I don't care if it is a hybrid of not I just like seeing them flop.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:37 am

if going for a slam, how would a hybrid place(or not at all?) and are we gonna be allowed to use 22 lr's or 22 mags, I hope?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”