surgery

A place where you can discuss everything other then hunting and fishing. General Discussion forums.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

surgery

Post by 30.06 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:37 pm

years back i broke my femur. they put a titanium rod down the bone and anchored it with 1 screw at the hip, and 2 screws by the knee. well one of the 2 screws near my knee has retracted approximately 2cm. i have put off finding out what it was because i pretty much knew the answer, but now the pain has become so bad that i have to go under the knife for a repair. hoping for a quick recovery so i might be able to get out for bear season.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: surgery

Post by born2hunt » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:05 pm

That sucks. I'd have them put some loc-tite on it this time.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:32 pm

born2hunt wrote:That sucks. I'd have them put some loc-tite on it this time.
Loc-Tite!! Beat me to it!! lol...

30.06 Get fixed up soon bud...

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by bodysnatcher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:25 am

:angel for a quick recovery.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks guys. loc tite should do the trick. hell i asked the wife for a razor blade and my drill. she said no.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:36 pm

30-06 I hope you get straightened out soon. That does sound painful! That bear season thing is just over 2 months away.
I was hoping for a new shoulder to go with my new knee and hip but the doc is still doing the steroid shots in the shoulder. He says lets wait awhile on the shoulder, in the mean time the other knee has messed up and it's gettin' to close to Thanksgiving Day to be doin' much work on my knee.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:18 am

Hope for quick recovery!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:56 am

well gentleman surgery is scheduled for oct 2. doc says it is pretty simple small incision, take the screw out sew it up back on my feet same day. then i have to get to feeling better and exercising again. Treefarmer it sounds like you have been going through it, i hope that other knee holds out through season for you, and sounds like that shoulder is eventually gonna get fixed up too. now if i can afford my permits after i pay for the surgery i will try to get out there this season.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:02 pm

That's great news 30.06 and a quick fix! Almost sounds like you could do that at home and save a few bucks. Sharpen up your old Case pocket knife, (find out what kind of head the screw has before you start), a couple of steri-strips, a bottle of turpentine and you'll save enough for your permits :rolleyes .
I'm supposed to have my knee "scoped" on Sept. 2, Doc said walk in walk out, he's said with the arthritis issue and how quickly the pain came on me, he'll give me a 60% chance of being able to clean up, trim and vacuum the floaters or what ever is causing the pain. Beats enduring a total knee for now.
You young fellers need to figure out how to keep from gettin' old, it ain't easy sometimes :crip .
Treefarmer

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Yessir treefarmer i figured a bottle of good whiskey, a case cutter and my drill would get the job done, but the wife wont let that happen. Sounds like the dr is gonna get you going here soon. i try not to get old, but time is tryin to creep up on me. as long as i can walk i will stay young, but this pain has got to go so i can get my a*# moving!!! i got a lot of work to do and it is falling behind right now. thanks for the encouragement!

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:27 am

Yikes. Good luck man. My thoughts are with you on a quick recovery!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:09 am

quick update. probably not having surgery friday. the dr has deemed my surgery elective, and expects me to come up with some serious scratch by friday. i dont have that kind of money. they did not even contact my insurance company. i am going to see a different dr thur, to see if they can do this through ins. i aint gettin caitlyn jennered here, this is ridiculous. i am not electing to have this screw removed i am in constant pain and walking or trying to work is no fun right now, whats worse is i will never improve with this screw sticking out an inch. i lose ins benefits nov 20, so if this doesnt happen i am screwed for a bit. no pun intended.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:09 am

Dang man, that's rough. Those insurance companies are a bunch of bandits anyhow. Hopefully another opinion will get you fixed up with the surgery. Your DR sounds like a knucklehead. How can he say "elective" when you're dealing with that pain?? If he did the original surgery you should threaten a lawsuit against his surgical skills and see if that changes his mind! That screw isn't supposed to back out. I had the same thing done back in the '80's on my fibula. I broke the fibula and tibia with bone sticking out right above the ankle. After I healed up they finally removed all the hardware. I had the rod from my knee to my ankle and 3 screws at the ankle. Took me two years and 6 surgeries to finally get through it. Broken bones ain't for sissies. It still ain't 100% but I can walk and do what I need. Hope you get fixed up soon.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:11 am

i hear you 9dawgs. i have a plate, and screws in the right ankle as well, that was the worst break i ever had, much worse than the femur. unfortunately this is not the same dr. and what is totally crazy is they havent even contacted my insurance company. looked up online and no activity on ins since my aug 19th appt.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:45 am

My ins company is pissing me off also. I have a lapband surgery set up for january and i have to pay 2200 in copays and 20% of the surgery and anastesia. Well they wont tell me the full price of the operation so i can see if i can even afford the 20%!!!!

I feel like im being suckered in to a drs "charge whatever you want" operation. Well thats all good when my ins covers it all but when i gotta pay 20%!its a big deal to me.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Return to “THE CAMPFIRE”