anyone here farming? keeping goats, pigs, cows?

A place where you can discuss everything other then hunting and fishing. General Discussion forums.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: anyone here farming? keeping goats, pigs, cows?

Post by TerribleTed » Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 pm

besides raising a pig I generally keep a real small garden of peppers got to have my red jalapenos and eggs for breakfast

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue May 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Hey Terrible Ted! We're draggin' around up here in the Panhandle, just got some stuff in the ground last Tuesday. What was planted is already crackin' or needlin' through. Our garden plots are 100' long. We planted 2 rows of yellow straight neck squash, 8 rows of Silver Queen, and 2 rows of Market More cukes. On the other side of the road we planted about 16 row of the red field corn we've been foolin' with for several years and there is room for 6 rows of Zipper Cream peas that I just found the seed today.
We do have 5 raised beds that have been goin' for a while, tomatoes and peppers. Jalapeno, rooster spur, Bell and sweet banana make of the list of varieties.
We've been out of the cow business now for close to 20 years, the old cow horses all went to the "happy huntin' ground" and now we're too old and I like to think, too smart to fool with horses anymore.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 am

Hey anyone still growing veggies? It's been really wet in central Florida Treefarmer. It seems like it would have been a good year to grow. I haven't planted anything this year between my accident and traveling, I haven't had time to put anything in the ground. My bananas are killing it though!

I may still get out there and see what'll grow. I'm thinking the bugs will eat everything up before I get anything though. It is wet and my compost pile is looking pretty good so I'll probably just go for it.

Hope all is well up your way. I'm planning to come up the week before Thanksgiving to the farm and see what I can do with my crossbow :>)

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Hey Jim!
We had a late pea patch and picked probably 30 gallons total. This afternoon as we were heading out church, there was a hen and 5 little turkeys feeding on the dried leftover peas.
Tomatoes have outdone themselves for a change, peppers are still makin'. Almost time to plant fall garden.
Just bush hogged most of a food plot Monday and surprisingly it has enough clover in it to keep it as it is!
Let us know when you will be coming through Chipley, maybe we can have a cup of coffee.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Chipley is where my family is from. Not sure if we established that already but if you've ever met a Nelson up there, we're kin. :>) My Great Great Great Grandpa is buried there at the site of the old church. And if you go to the New Orange Baptist Church, I'm related to just about everyone in the cemetery. My Grandpa built that church when to old one burnt down back in the 50's I believe.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Jim,
I remember you had mentioned about your family. We used to go to New Orange about 40 years ago.
I remember too, y'all have a politician in the family who would probably make Rex, Farrell and Donald turn over in their graves.
I'm serious about y'all stoppin' by when you head over west of us. Let us know.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 pm

treefarmer wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm
Jim,
I remember you had mentioned about your family. We used to go to New Orange about 40 years ago.
I remember too, y'all have a politician in the family who would probably make Rex, Farrell and Donald turn over in their graves.
I'm serious about y'all stoppin' by when you head over west of us. Let us know.
Treefarmer
Haha, yeah. Sorry about cousin Billy...

I'll let you know about the trip up your way when we get a little closer. I'd love to have a cup of coffee and chat with you. :>)

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 am

been thinking about goats.. just danced half my property and that was 5k lol can't afford the second half!

Return to “THE CAMPFIRE”