First welding project.

A place where you can discuss everything other then hunting and fishing. General Discussion forums.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

First welding project.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:37 am

So I bought a 6 x 12 open trailer to put my two four wheelers on to move around. I didn't want to buy the 6 x 16 trailer because it was $500 more and I decided I would rather put a four wheeler sideways and one straight. Well that's not as easy as it sounds when you have 2 4x4 4 wheelers and one is lifted with big tires.

I put one on sideways to start and it gets old real quick you have to lift them up it's just a pain in the azz especially if you're by yourself to get on sideways.

So I was trying to figure out a way to put A four wheeler on sideways easier so I went to look at trailers in tractor supply and seen the ones that had the side gate and really wish I would've spent the extra 300 and bought one of those .

So I decided to cut the side of my trailer to make easy access but I needed a way to support it without putting a Gate on.

So I looked at the trailers and tractor supply in seeing they were the same exact trailer is mine with no extra supports on the bottom they just had a drop gate and it looks like the only thing supporting it when it was moving was it to latches that lock the gate which I guess made that one side sturdy.

So I decided if I was to cut the side rail off of my trailer I need to make it sturdy when I am Pulling it around with weight on it. so what I decided to do is Cut the sidebar, used to scrap piece that I cut to make two down supports to give the ends more support, then I would cut a piece to go over the top with pins that would pin in place and a down support that would be pinned in also and this whole support would be removable.

Well heres pics.
IMG_4950.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Re: First welding project.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:41 am

Its funny csuse i just started welding and pretty much i think i am a beginner at best..

But damn!!! I bought this trailer from true value. I look at the welds on it and am scared of the crap they throw together at the factory being that i know what a strong good weld "should" look like.
I cant beleive that they let those trailers leave for sale like that... crazy.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:59 am

I have also made some flat beds with removable sides. I used round pipes larger pipes on the base and the sides had smaller pipes( that slip into the lager ones) on them. Then at the ends (uprights) pin in place like a door hinge on the ends.
make easy removal and will retain a load.

yea looks like you did a good job.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:50 am

Thx! I realized when welding to powdercoat.... sand all off down to bare metal. Sucks actually compared to welding raw stock. Even had to sand a spot clean on trailer to get ground clamp grounded properly!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm

I don't like any thing out side powder coated I prefer paint.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Looks like you're all set! (as long as you don't forget the hitch pin) :)

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Funny!!

Return to “THE CAMPFIRE”