citrus wma deer

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Re: citrus wma deer

Post by trouttouter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:36 am

hunter1005 wrote:trouttouter,

Since some of us did not even see a deer this weekend, when do we get to see the bucks you have on camera ?
I'll tell you what, I will think about posting some game camera pictures at the end of the season. I would love to get one of the deer from the camera to match them up and I still have the first muzzle loader and general gun hunts. I did record the four point I passed up. He was as close as 11 yards broad-side with his head behind a pine tree. He was just a little to small for me. You don't get monsters by hosing the little guys...

One other really important thing! FWC has been actively walking through the woods. Three guys in my hunt camp alone were approached by FWC, checking licenses and permits. The guy next to us at Holder Mine had a real PETA feel to him. He was "hiking" during shooting hours apparently, with his two dogs. One guy moved his stand after dark and magically a corn pile showed up in the old location. He thinks someone saw him hunting the stand and returned to place corn, then called FWC. This is a VERY reputable hunter who has held some high positions in the hunting organizations across the state. Be careful out there and mind the regulations.

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:37 am

Glenn wrote: HA! I predict another weekend full of hunters chasing ghost deer!

I drove past the check station yesterday evening and they added one more to the board. So 7 deer checked in out of how many hunter hours this weekend? I'm sure a few never made it to the check station and went straight to the house instead. I scouted some areas Sunday afternoon north of Stage Coach and was hard pressed to even find a track!

Either way Trouttouter thanks for the emailed update and I sent one back to you.
Thanks, Glenn. That pressure is going to work in your favor. Mark my words. Just ride those stands a little bit later in the morning, past 10 AM.

Regulator23
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Regulator23 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:32 am

For archery this month, do you need to get a daily quota permit from the check station, or can you just go hunt? I'm bringing my 86 year old father up there in a week or two. He hunted there every year back 50 or 60 years ago. He hasn't been able to hunt for many years and needless to say, he's EXCITED!

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Trouttouter that,s fair enough.

I found a decent size deer track today finally plus several others. Looks like the deer were having a party after everyone left the woods.

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 pm

after the 1st 4 days anyone can hunt wihout quota permit.i have not seen a game warden in at least 2 yrs until this week.very nice were are they any other time.the deer are moving seening tracks that were not there the evening before,moving in the dark!

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:46 am

I haven't been check by an officer in a very long time. Glad to see they are checking people in Citrus and hope they do more night patrols and catch the poachers out there.

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 am

They were sitting on Trail 13 checking people just driving into the forest from Stage Coach when I was there. Like I said, also walking through the woods during hunting hours. I saw three FWC trucks at the check station one morning. The most I've ever seen by far.

The deer like to flip nocturnal when the pressure gets on. They also will say in bed until way late in the morning. Sometimes I think I should just sleep in and go in about 9 AM and sit until sunset. Maybe during muzzleloader.

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:35 pm

i am wih you on that!

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:46 pm

I like to be in the stand early and I try not to use a light or just use it enough to see a few yards ahead. Now I am getting lazy and like my sleep just a little bit more.

A few years ago, I slipped into this spot quietly in the early a.m and kept my light down, not pointing it all over the place.
Then about 1/2 hour before light this guy comes down the trail with a beacon. The deer went crazy that we bedded down no 50 yds behind. Needless to say this guy walked all over the place until I told him to sit down.

But the hunt was over already within an hour of daylight, because I saw he spooked deer just before light which were long gone. Plus saw some deer cross his path and once they did, they put on the brakes and did a 180 back to where they came from.

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:09 pm

my last buck i shot 2yrs ago durning the 1st bp hunt in citrus came around 10:35 ,the following year was set up on a big active scrape in aground blind, about 11:00 kept hearing leaves and dirt being tharshed around,got out of blind about 1:00 pm went over to were i heard the scraping coming from found a large ,large,scrape and 2 rubs under a group of shcrub live oaks,moral to the story,stay in your stand untill you can not stand it anymore.

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Boy what a day....

Had to back out and let one lay tonight in hopes he beds up. Been tracking him all day and just when we thought we gave him enough time it wasn't. Hit him right behind the rib cage and exit in the stomach at 40 yards. He is a good one so fingers cross we find him tomorrow! At least he is not on WMA property anymore and on private property that isn't hunted.

No sleep tonight for me!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:28 pm

You need to put a dog on it. Too bad i'm not home or I would bring my wiener dog up there. She'd take you right to it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:You need to put a dog on it. Too bad i'm not home or I would bring my wiener dog up there. She'd take you right to it
I have a Beagle and Dashund but We jumped him 3 times out of beds and after the last one we trailed another 200 yards and didn't want to push him anymore. I shot him at 6:45 am so needless to say we are worn out and this old buck is a tough SOB!

Will be there at daylight to hopefully find him....Will be my biggest bow kill and biggest Florida buck by far. I'm pretty sure I clip the liver and he was dropping out chunks gut material out the exit hole. He has been eating corn from someones feeder cause it was coming out as well.

trouttouter
Troop Guide

citrus wma deer

Post by trouttouter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:57 am

Awesome, Glenn! Send me a pic of that beast when you find him in a few hours!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:15 pm

heard there are some controlled burns taking place in citrus during archery season. Any truth to that? The latest one I heard about was on 44, and trail 11.

Return to “WMA FORUM”