side arm on WMA?

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: side arm on WMA?

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:CWP = NO GREY AREA

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.
Good Advise and NO BS either!

Devinv
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Devinv » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:51 am

TerribleTed wrote:remember in Florida when hunting fishing you can
I read that somewhere in an official rule book, thought it was a misprint. But yes, the law says you can open carry while fishing, i've never seen anyone do it, not even sure why they have this rule....

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:56 am

Hiking and birdwatching is not hunting or fishing. On WMA's I would only carry openly during General Gun season. In fact if you are carrying openly a lot of the WMA brochures STATE that during other seasons like archery or blackpowder, possession of a firearm is illegal UNLESS you have a concealed carry permit. SO I do not know why that person who told you that you could openly carry on MOST wma's when it clearly stats in their brochures that possession of a firearm during NON firearm season without a ccw is illegal.

Oh and bringing that scrap of paper with you aint gonna do diddly if stopped by an FWC officer who has had a bad day. You're asking for trouble. Be safe get a CCW permit, and your golden
New season coming up!

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 am

I agree with others here that CWP is the way to go to avoid any problems; however, I’m of the opinion that if we as gun owners/hunters are unable to understand the basic rules of open carry in Florida, paired with WMA regulations, obtaining a CWP under the assumption that you’ll be fine is just asking for trouble. As hunters and gun owners, we are responsible for reading and understanding regulations, be able to quote them when needed, and defend our rights when required. We should not rely on someone’s opinion or interpretations of the rules. Again, that is just asking for trouble.

First, I recall reading a couple of years ago on WMA brochures that guns were prohibited unless gun season. That, as far as I know (or at least for the WMAs I hunt), changed. WMA Regulations are aligned with FS 790.25 (3) (h):

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

For the WMAs I hunt the only rule is that “The discharge of a firearm outside of periods open to hunting or in areas closed to hunting is prohibited per s. 790.15 FS”. I didn’t check all of the brochures, but my guess is that they are all aligned. The FWC answered this question before. You can open carry during any hunting season (archery, BP, etc) but you are not allowed to take game, unless specifically authorized for that season (i.e. general gun).

In fact, open carry fishing events are taking place every month around Florida for the purpose of educating citizens on their right to open carry in our state. Just check http://www.open-carry.org/

By the way, if you know the law, there is no need to bring a piece of paper. Why would you do that, to avoid arguing with LE. We should make the point we know the law and prove them wrong as many times as possible. That is the only way our rights as gun owners will be in place for years to come. If we are just scared of people calling LE on us, what good are we doing to protect our rights and the rights of law abiding citizens.

Just my 2 cents.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:42 am

Mr. Lolo wrote:I agree with others here that CWP is the way to go to avoid any problems; however, I’m of the opinion that if we as gun owners/hunters are unable to understand the basic rules of open carry in Florida, paired with WMA regulations, obtaining a CWP under the assumption that you’ll be fine is just asking for trouble. As hunters and gun owners, we are responsible for reading and understanding regulations, be able to quote them when needed, and defend our rights when required. We should not rely on someone’s opinion or interpretations of the rules. Again, that is just asking for trouble.

First, I recall reading a couple of years ago on WMA brochures that guns were prohibited unless gun season. That, as far as I know (or at least for the WMAs I hunt), changed. WMA Regulations are aligned with FS 790.25 (3) (h):

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

For the WMAs I hunt the only rule is that “The discharge of a firearm outside of periods open to hunting or in areas closed to hunting is prohibited per s. 790.15 FS”. I didn’t check all of the brochures, but my guess is that they are all aligned. The FWC answered this question before. You can open carry during any hunting season (archery, BP, etc) but you are not allowed to take game, unless specifically authorized for that season (i.e. general gun).

In fact, open carry fishing events are taking place every month around Florida for the purpose of educating citizens on their right to open carry in our state. Just check http://www.open-carry.org/

By the way, if you know the law, there is no need to bring a piece of paper. Why would you do that, to avoid arguing with LE. We should make the point we know the law and prove them wrong as many times as possible. That is the only way our rights as gun owners will be in place for years to come. If we are just scared of people calling LE on us, what good are we doing to protect our rights and the rights of law abiding citizens.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree. The problem is this. You will be arrested, held for 24 hours and then figure out they screwed up, they will give you an apology. You then hire an attorney, if you can find one to take a case against the LE organization, County and State and come off a bunch of coin to maybe get a "wrongful arrest' settlement and establish case law on the topic. Personally, I don't wanna go through all that BS and just CC whenever I leave the house with my CWL.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 am

M12Gunboy wrote:
Mr. Lolo wrote:I agree with others here that CWP is the way to go to avoid any problems; however, I’m of the opinion that if we as gun owners/hunters are unable to understand the basic rules of open carry in Florida, paired with WMA regulations, obtaining a CWP under the assumption that you’ll be fine is just asking for trouble. As hunters and gun owners, we are responsible for reading and understanding regulations, be able to quote them when needed, and defend our rights when required. We should not rely on someone’s opinion or interpretations of the rules. Again, that is just asking for trouble.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree. The problem is this. You will be arrested, held for 24 hours and then figure out they screwed up, they will give you an apology. You then hire an attorney, if you can find one to take a case against the LE organization, County and State and come off a bunch of coin to maybe get a "wrongful arrest' settlement and establish case law on the topic. Personally, I don't wanna go through all that BS and just CC whenever I leave the house with my CWL.
Agree with you M12Gunboy. I CC every day and I think is the way to go. The simple answer to the original question is that he can open carry with no issues. The bigger picture is the issue of open carry per se. My point is that we are making it easy for the "Guy" by not standing for our rights. In my case I can afford and willing to go through all the hassle of proving them wrong and defend my constitutional right. After spending most of my life living in a US territory with very strict and ridiculous gun laws, I value what we have here. I don’t mind proving them wrong and drag their #@ss through the legal system as long as needed. And just as an FYI, my job depends on a clean criminal record (I run a PI and Legal Research business serving Fortune 100 corporate accounts).

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:29 am

Mr. Lolo - you da man!

If we refuse to protect our rights because it is inconvenient, then we lose those rights. When they eventually come for our guns, and someday they will, will it be inconvenient then to resist the violation of our right to keep and bear arms?
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am

Mr. Lolo wrote:
M12Gunboy wrote:

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with you M12Gunboy. I CC every day and I think is the way to go. The simple answer to the original question is that he can open carry with no issues. The bigger picture is the issue of open carry per se. My point is that we are making it easy for the "Guy" by not standing for our rights. In my case I can afford and willing to go through all the hassle of proving them wrong and defend my constitutional right. After spending most of my life living in a US territory with very strict and ridiculous gun laws, I value what we have here. I don’t mind proving them wrong and drag their #@ss through the legal system as long as needed. And just as an FYI, my job depends on a clean criminal record (I run a PI and Legal Research business serving Fortune 100 corporate accounts).
Yeah I agree, I'd probably do the same thing and fight them legally and win. I too need to have a clean record to maintain a TS National Security Clearance which is the only way my 25 years of experience count in the Intell. field. It just really sux that in FL nothing is really "clear" when it comes to hunting and WMA's.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 am

GoodOyster wrote:Mr. Lolo - you da man!

If we refuse to protect our rights because it is inconvenient, then we lose those rights. When they eventually come for our guns, and someday they will, will it be inconvenient then to resist the violation of our right to keep and bear arms?
Agree with your point but the fact of the matter is that you'd be arrested under false pretences. That's BS. If it ever comes to the point that the government attempts to "come for our guns" or "confiscate" I'd bet you'd see another civil war in most places in America. Now don't get me wrong, they are going to try to push laws, registration and regulate guns and ammo but an all out "confiscation" ban would surely led to civil war against the government. I think law makers realize that and that's why they are going to try to use time, public pressure, registration and new laws to slowly pry them out of our hands.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 am

LOLO, thanks for standing up and fighting our battles. however I wouldn't recomend it for everyone. you may be 100% in the right but arguing with a man with a gun and a badge likely isn't going to end well, the law is kinda whatever they say it is at the moment, you MAY be able to prove them wrong later, if you are willing and financialy able to go thru the hassle. it's taken time but I try to pick my battles more carefully now and look at: odds of winning and what do I stand to win vs what do I stand to lose.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:21 am

nachogrande wrote:LOLO, thanks for standing up and fighting our battles. however I wouldn't recomend it for everyone. you may be 100% in the right but arguing with a man with a gun and a badge likely isn't going to end well, the law is kinda whatever they say it is at the moment, you MAY be able to prove them wrong later, if you are willing and financialy able to go thru the hassle. it's taken time but I try to pick my battles more carefully now and look at: odds of winning and what do I stand to win vs what do I stand to lose.
Agree. I won’t dare argue with them in the field for obvious reasons, and anyone doing that is probably risking too much. Our job is to educate those LE officers and average people that are somehow unaware of the law. The point is, know your FL Statutes, WMA regulations, concealed and open carry regulation and quote them when stopped by the guy. If he is smart, he will at least check. If he is not willing to check, then “see you in court and I’ll prove you wrong”.

"Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.- Mark Twain - "

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am

if i was a leo, i wouldn't argue with mr escobar, er lolo, that could be dangerous.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 am

houseofmicah wrote:if i was a leo, i wouldn't argue with mr escobar, er lolo, that could be dangerous.
LOL, I learned from the best :clap Just kidding. I’m just passionate about what I believe is right. We all should be, and I know all here are passionate as well. We should never fear standing for what is right. I learned that while in the service and is what drives me every day. Just saying.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 am

As a side note, but somehow related topic of standing to what is right and not to argue with idiots. I just came back from Ft. Riley where I spent the holidays with my son. When I got there, he asked me to go with him to a body shop where he left his truck tailgate for painting. The guy was a total #@$%. Took his deposit, did a crappy job and then asked him to pay the remaining portion. My son was disappointed to say the least. After watching them going back and forward for an hour I told my son to stop arguing and pay the guy. You should see their faces. What they both didn’t realized was that by him paying and the guy taking the money and giving him the receipt, they were completing their contract. Needless to say, it took me a couple of calls, a conversation with the post commander, and a threat to have the shop blacklisted by Riley to get our money back as well as the guys signed commitment to pay for what he damaged. Job was completed yesterday to my son’s satisfaction.

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I hate ask this. I may sound stupid, but isn't a cwp advertisement to big brother "Hey I got guns" if they ever do get the ban passed the way they would like it?
From what I hear the proposed bill would allow people who own certain rifles and handguns to be grandfathered in provided they meet one of two criteria
1. Jump through a million hoops to be licensed to own it.
2. Allow it to be permanently disabled. (Make it a wall hanger)

None of my guns are registered and most have been bought from friends so if the law passed now nothing red flags me as an owner except a few forum posts. I just think cwp owners might be the first doors they knock on.

Sorry if I sound paranoid

Return to “WMA FORUM”