side arm on WMA?

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

H60mech
scout

side arm on WMA?

Post by H60mech » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if it is legal or permitted to carry a side arm on WMA property without a concealed permit while hunting?
:rockon :army

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: side arm on WMA?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Without a CWP. you can carry a sidearm only during hunting season(s), with a respectable legal gun for that season...ie, a black powder pistol during BP season,...etc//
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OldCrab » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I got this responce from the FWC at the ask FWC site

When I am hiking / biking on a WMA not during a hunt or hunting season when a WMA is open for general public use . Can I openly carry my handgun / sidearm?

I understand if I have a CWP I may carry it concealed - but I do not have a CWP and feel the need to carry my sidearm as a means of protection from snakes and wild boar.

Dear Sir: Yes, you may open carry a firearm on most of our WMA's at any time. It is important to note, federal rules that are enforced by federal law enforcement agencies such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service apply on these federal hunting lands and military installations - Camp Blanding, Eglin Air Force Base, Tyndall Air Force Base, Avon Park, St. Marks, St. Vincent Island, Lower Suwannee, Lake Woodruff, Merritt Island and A.R.M. Loxahatchee. On these areas, according to federal rules, you may only be in possession of firearms during hunting seasons when they are allowed.
The NE Regional Customer Service
Calling illegal aliens “undocumented workers” is like calling drug dealers “unlicensed pharmacists”…

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 am

go get your concealed carry permit.. i put it off a year or so and when i finally did the process i realized it was much quicker and simpler than i thought..

then you can carry and not have to worry about what wma has what rules (they are all different)

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:45 am

imo, get your ccp while you can and carry CONCEALED and not worry. DON'T assume you can open carry on ALL wma's, YOU CAN'T. even if it is legal you may still get your balz busted by a gatekeeper or fwc anyway.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 am

remember in Florida when hunting fishing you can

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:26 pm

H60mech wrote:Hey guys, I'm just wondering if it is legal or permitted to carry a side arm on WMA property without a concealed permit while hunting?
:rockon :army
Depends upon the WMA! Get a CWL and you can carry one on any of them, at any time....

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm

OldCrab wrote:I got this responce from the FWC at the ask FWC site

When I am hiking / biking on a WMA not during a hunt or hunting season when a WMA is open for general public use . Can I openly carry my handgun / sidearm?

I understand if I have a CWP I may carry it concealed - but I do not have a CWP and feel the need to carry my sidearm as a means of protection from snakes and wild boar.

Dear Sir: Yes, you may open carry a firearm on most of our WMA's at any time. It is important to note, federal rules that are enforced by federal law enforcement agencies such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service apply on these federal hunting lands and military installations - Camp Blanding, Eglin Air Force Base, Tyndall Air Force Base, Avon Park, St. Marks, St. Vincent Island, Lower Suwannee, Lake Woodruff, Merritt Island and A.R.M. Loxahatchee. On these areas, according to federal rules, you may only be in possession of firearms during hunting seasons when they are allowed.
You'd have to carry that email with you, if not and even with it your asking for problems! Hikers and bird watchers, not all, but some of the animal rights types would probably call the law on you if they saw you open carrying in a WMA outside of hunting season. Most of the "part time/volunteer" staff at the gates don't even know the rules...

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:33 pm

nachogrande wrote:imo, get your ccp while you can and carry CONCEALED and not worry. DON'T assume you can open carry on ALL wma's, YOU CAN'T. even if it is legal you may still get your balz busted by a gatekeeper or fwc anyway.
X20! I'd bet half the FWC officers don't even know the law on the topic and it varies by WMA, how could they know all the laws, rules, and regulations by WMA? It's stupid, as are most of the rules and regulations governing WMA's, some within a few miles of each other with completely different rules and regulations. What a joke!

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OldCrab » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:13 pm

M12Gunboy wrote:
OldCrab wrote:I got this responce from the FWC at the ask FWC site

You'd have to carry that email with you, if not and even with it your asking for problems! Hikers and bird watchers, not all, but some of the animal rights types would probably call the law on you if they saw you open carrying in a WMA outside of hunting season. Most of the "part time/volunteer" staff at the gates don't even know the rules...
I do as a matter of fact i laminate all of the responces I get because elmer dont recognize the same rules as fudd - but when I show the responces from the regional office they alaways have honored the e-mail -- evenhad 1 write down the case numbers so he could ask his LT why they were not updated to the field guys when the rule was dated 2 yrs prior - go figure
Calling illegal aliens “undocumented workers” is like calling drug dealers “unlicensed pharmacists”…

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Been busy and the only time i have had off is on the weekends, going to go and get my CWP on my next weekday off.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:35 pm

I think a lot of it comes down to: do you want to spend your day doing what you went there to do, OR proving to someone who doesn't know shart from shinola that you are right and waste precious time and give yourself stress. that's up to you. who's the bigger fool? the fool who doesn't know or the one that argues with one?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:19 pm

i carry my .40 open on my hip with a holster during general gun season. not exactly gonna take a deer with it but i imagine i could stop a pig no problem. i dont carry out of hunting season, but will once i get my cwp.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

H60mech
scout

Post by H60mech » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 am

I do the exact same thing 30.06!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

side arm on WMA?

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 am

CWP = NO GREY AREA

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

Return to “WMA FORUM”