Green swamp

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

vonnick52
Star Scout

Re: Green swamp

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:28 pm

OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:Thanks guys. Is green swamp the best WMA near me (USF tampa area)? I dont mind driving and walking far. I havent hunted in years now. I actually sold all my archery stuff when i moved to FSU, but now im in tampa and would love to get out there this season. I know putting the time in is what makes a successful hunter, but it is hard for a full time college student.
Citrus isn't bad either, little bit further of a drive....

I hunted both while in college and had more success at Green Swamp, while Citrus is nicer hunting (less swamps etc). The critters are there, you just gotta get to the stuff most others don't and get lucky.

What are you studying at USF?

Just switched from chemical engineering to cellular biology to set me up for dental school. I'm in my late junior year.
Let me know if you want/need an internship, I know decent ones are tough to come by. I'm a chemist in Lakeland for a water plant. I studied chemical engineering for most of college then realized I could graduate in a semester with an environmental science degree instead of another year and a half in school. I graduated Aug 2011. Cellular bio is definitely an interesting study, the labs are very interesting!

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by OriginalCracker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm

vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:Thanks guys. Is green swamp the best WMA near me (USF tampa area)? I dont mind driving and walking far. I havent hunted in years now. I actually sold all my archery stuff when i moved to FSU, but now im in tampa and would love to get out there this season. I know putting the time in is what makes a successful hunter, but it is hard for a full time college student.

I hunted both while in college and had more success at Green Swamp, while Citrus is nicer hunting (less swamps etc). The critters are there, you just gotta get to the stuff most others don't and get lucky.

Just switched from chemical engineering to cellular biology to set me up for dental school. I'm in my late junior year.
Let me know if you want/need an internship, I know decent ones are tough to come by. I'm a chemist in Lakeland for a water plant. I studied chemical engineering for most of college then realized I could graduate in a semester with an environmental science degree instead of another year and a half in school. I graduated Aug 2011. Cellular bio is definitely an interesting study, the labs are very interesting!

All I need is shadowing hours to look good on my résumé for dental school. If it were a paid internship I'd definitely be interested. Ill be going to school tues-Friday all day, so a regular job is pretty much out of the question for me. Your job is pretty interesting I bet huh? My buddy works for SWFMD in the field and absolutely loves it. He's going for an environmental degree.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:58 pm

OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:

All I need is shadowing hours to look good on my résumé for dental school. If it were a paid internship I'd definitely be interested. Ill be going to school tues-Friday all day, so a regular job is pretty much out of the question for me. Your job is pretty interesting I bet huh? My buddy works for SWFMD in the field and absolutely loves it. He's going for an environmental degree.
It's not bad, only about 2 months into it.....my only complaint is it's basically the same thing everyday....but I'll be doing it for another 30+ years, as I ain't leaving this place, so I might as well get used to it. Lots of titrations, lots of spectrophotometer work, some gas chromatography and some other analytical chem work on our lime byproduct from our softening process which have some cool steps to it.

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm

vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:

It's not bad, only about 2 months into it.....my only complaint is it's basically the same thing everyday....but I'll be doing it for another 30+ years, as I ain't leaving this place, so I might as well get used to it. Lots of titrations, lots of spectrophotometer work, some gas chromatography and some other analytical chem work on our lime byproduct from our softening process which have some cool steps to it.
Sounds like an average day in orgo labs. No distillations, or recrystallizations?

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 pm

OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:

Sounds like an average day in orgo labs. No distillations, or recrystallizations?
Nope, water is easy. Most distillations and recrystallization is for synthesis. I just analyze what we are pumping to the public for safety and quality purposes.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 pm

are*

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 pm

vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:
vonnick52 wrote:

Nope, water is easy. Most distillations and recrystallization is for synthesis. I just analyze what we are pumping to the public for safety and quality purposes.

Oh duh, I was just thinking of a lab in general and not specifically what you do. That all sounds pretty cool though.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyways, back to your topic, gimme a shout come time for season, we'll meet up. Or, I'm over in Tampa quite regularly as one of my sisters is studying environmental science at USF and one graduated with a elementary education degree and is fixing to pop out a baby. We'll grab some beers and BS a bit before season.

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:23 pm

i plan on riding a loop of 20 plus miles either sat or sun. have seen plenty of game on my rides. the silence is so powerful.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 pm

vonnick52 wrote:Anyways, back to your topic, gimme a shout come time for season, we'll meet up. Or, I'm over in Tampa quite regularly as one of my sisters is studying environmental science at USF and one graduated with a elementary education degree and is fixing to pop out a baby. We'll grab some beers and BS a bit before season.

Sounds good man. Ill do that

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 pm

wingshooter wrote:i plan on riding a loop of 20 plus miles either sat or sun. have seen plenty of game on my rides. the silence is so powerful.
I do that quite often at the Pasco well fields. Love it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 pm

luv2hunt are you talking about the well fields off Erhin Cut Off road? If so I have spent many hours on that property and some before the wells were punched in the ground. And as many times as I have drove past upper hillsborough i have never stopped in. how is it compared to the green swamp?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:13 am

wingshooter wrote:luv2hunt are you talking about the well fields off Erhin Cut Off road? If so I have spent many hours on that property and some before the wells were punched in the ground. And as many times as I have drove past upper hillsborough i have never stopped in. how is it compared to the green swamp?
Yessir
I posted some youtube vids of deer I took last summer while out there riding the path at the well fields.

Upper hills is pretty much the same terrain as GS. It is quota hunt only, except for small game season. There is a huge ranch next to it that everyone went mudding. 2 years ago it got shut down, and I think the game is back on that ranch during pressure times, as harvest numbers have crashed. You should bike it some time. It's about a 10 mile loop. You can park a the park on Chancey rd and go in there
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:08 am

The place is called rancho, dont know much history, just know to stay out. I worked for a company last year that purchased property along 54 near upper hills. I was trying real hard to find some way of getting pigs close, never worked out. I did not know upper hills had an entrance off Chancey road. Will deff check out upper hills this season. As it is close to green swamp.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 am

Rancho ain't shut down....just ain't quite as rowdy

Return to “WMA FORUM”