Green swamp

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Green swamp

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I'd rather not start another thread for this, but does anyone have any info on green swamp WMA? I plan on scouting it this week for the first time ever and would like some info maybe on where the majority of people go so I can avoid certain areas and not waste time. I don't mind walking very far in to get away from people. I'm a full time college student, so my hunting/scouting time is very very limited, which is equivalent to why I'm so unsuccessful at hunting, but I still enjoy getting out when I can. Where should I avoid, is it overcrowded, etc.?

vonnick52
Star Scout

Re: Green swamp

Post by vonnick52 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:41 pm

I'll be out there come archery. I'm a USF graduate, can't say I know any super sweet spots but I'd be willing to meet up with you.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Take a mountain bike. The place is big, and the gates are locked in the off season
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm

This is a romp&stomp WMA. That doesn't mean that there's no game. First thing is you'll have to bike in to do any scouting before season. You'll see a lot of people early in the season. As time goes on, it thins out some.
If you wait until archery, you'll be able to drive in and find other places. Take a look at google earth and get an idea of where you want to start. Then find some transition points, where oaks meet swamp, meet pines. That's where you'll want to start scouting. Sometimes you have to walk far, but I've seen deer within sight of the road.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

I will be out there in gen gun with Scott, greybellplumb. we are also going to get out there and try to figure it out a bit.

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Take a mountain bike. The place is big, and the gates are locked in the off season

So you can't scout it right now?

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:45 pm

OriginalCracker wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote:Take a mountain bike. The place is big, and the gates are locked in the off season

So you can't scout it right now?
yes you can scout. just the gates are locked so you have to walk or as said above take a bike and peddle. no vehicles
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

wingshooter
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by wingshooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 am

Last Sunday morning I rode about 16 miles on my mountain bike. Green swamp can be productive and is usually loaded with hunters. During the off season it is leagal to walk or ride a bicycle in the swamp. Hard to ride a bike in Richloam, need a tall truck insted. I like the swamp and richloam just have to put in the seat time cause you cant killem from the couch. I may ride again this weekend as it is a change of pace from Alafia River State park. If you go to the swamp this time of year it is pretty nice and quiet. Make sure to take plenty of water it is hot.
Member of the Florida Road Hunting Gang...No License, No Season, No Limit !!!!!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 am

Most of the WMA's with an in/out gate are locked in the non hunting times, but open to foot/bike traffic. I usually hit Upper Hills a few times a year to get some exercise. I just put on a back pack and carry about 10 bottles of water
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 am

You can go scout now but come game on time every place that you can park a vehicle will have 10 or 20 trucks parked and you will be walking in on someone no matter where you go.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 am

OriginalCracker wrote:I'd rather not start another thread for this, but does anyone have any info on green swamp WMA? I plan on scouting it this week for the first time ever and would like some info maybe on where the majority of people go so I can avoid certain areas and not waste time. I don't mind walking very far in to get away from people. I'm a full time college student, so my hunting/scouting time is very very limited, which is equivalent to why I'm so unsuccessful at hunting, but I still enjoy getting out when I can. Where should I avoid, is it overcrowded, etc.?
OriginalCracker, don't get discouraged and check the place. I've hunted there for 5 years (didn't go last season) and although it is a difficult WMA, there is plenty of game. I agree with others here, the place is packed the first weekend of archery and gun, but after that it is not that way. In fact, I use to camp there for 11 days straight and only saw people during the weekends (I have some youtube videos where I'm the only soul camping for days). If you can hunt weekdays during gun season) the place is all yours. During archery try Fridays. However, not a lot of bow hunters there anyways. Avoid the 471 side if you can. It borders Baird and people hunt that area hard, hoping to bag a deer pushed by dogs from Baird. I never killed a deer at the swamp but seen plenty (for some reason always during the wrong season) and some nice ones very close to the roads during the peak of the gun season. I hunt the Rock Ridge road area and had taken some nice hogs from there. Just be ready to walk. Most people won't go past 1 mile and that is where you want to go. Find more that 1 spot so you have a back-up plan if your main spot is taken and don't use the obvious parking spots. You can park in a less used area and walk to good spots and never see any hunters. PM me and I'll give you some pointers (no expert here-just in case :clown - but at least is a start)
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks guys. Is green swamp the best WMA near me (USF tampa area)? I dont mind driving and walking far. I havent hunted in years now. I actually sold all my archery stuff when i moved to FSU, but now im in tampa and would love to get out there this season. I know putting the time in is what makes a successful hunter, but it is hard for a full time college student.

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Post by pandaxmx » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 pm

You can believe Mr Lolo I have seen him come out with 2 hogs in one outing, I have camped with him before at Green swamp, and he knows what he is talking about. I missed him last year but will be there next Gen Gun hope to see you and hopefully Him there...
Gun Laws are only for folks who Obey the Law..Criminals don't give a HOOT

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:13 pm

OriginalCracker wrote:Thanks guys. Is green swamp the best WMA near me (USF tampa area)? I dont mind driving and walking far. I havent hunted in years now. I actually sold all my archery stuff when i moved to FSU, but now im in tampa and would love to get out there this season. I know putting the time in is what makes a successful hunter, but it is hard for a full time college student.
Citrus isn't bad either, little bit further of a drive....

I hunted both while in college and had more success at Green Swamp, while Citrus is nicer hunting (less swamps etc). The critters are there, you just gotta get to the stuff most others don't and get lucky.

What are you studying at USF?

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 pm

vonnick52 wrote:
OriginalCracker wrote:Thanks guys. Is green swamp the best WMA near me (USF tampa area)? I dont mind driving and walking far. I havent hunted in years now. I actually sold all my archery stuff when i moved to FSU, but now im in tampa and would love to get out there this season. I know putting the time in is what makes a successful hunter, but it is hard for a full time college student.
Citrus isn't bad either, little bit further of a drive....

I hunted both while in college and had more success at Green Swamp, while Citrus is nicer hunting (less swamps etc). The critters are there, you just gotta get to the stuff most others don't and get lucky.

What are you studying at USF?

Just switched from chemical engineering to cellular biology to set me up for dental school. I'm in my late junior year.

Return to “WMA FORUM”