Three Lakes Preguntas

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Three Lakes Preguntas

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:48 am

I've never been but I'll be going for the ML. Haven't had any time to scout.

For a first timer to the place, should I focus my efforts south of the Prairie lakes area or north of it? I think I'm reading the map right and it looks like that sort of splits it in two.

Campsites: Are they first come first served? Are there any ones should I avoid, etc?

Thanks guys.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

dadsahuntin
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Three Lakes Preguntas

Post by dadsahuntin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Kind of lost on the Preguntas thing? Huh? Three lakes has 3 sides. One on Hwy 441, one on rt 60 and one on Conoe Creek side. Through conoe creek you can easily acces Prarie Lakes but from road 5 that turns into rd 19 as you enter in Prarie Lakes. this is the road with Boy Scout Camp. In Prarie Lakes all camps must be seserved through FWC. All camps in Three lakes are open to wherever you can find one. From rt 60 side you can sometimes gain access to Prarie Lakes but only out of season. Typically if you are hunting Prarie Lakes with a quota you will check in at Conoe Creek side and camp there as well. I prefer Conoe Creek which is north of Prarie Lakes due to less traffic but I think more deer come out of Rt. 60 side. Keep to the fence lines of Prarie Lakes on either side is alway s a good place to start.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Three Lakes Preguntas

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Pregunta means "question" in spanish.

Sent from my killphone.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:58 am

I do not have a quota for Prairie Lakes. I will not be hunting there.

The map appears to show the Prairie Lakes Unit "splitting" the whole area. So there's an area off 60 I can go up to the Prairie Lakes boundary and an area north of Prairie Lakes. Is this correct?

Is there any significant terrain difference between the two areas?
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

dadsahuntin
scout

Post by dadsahuntin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 am

You are correct. Rt 60 side has a larger area bordered by the fence line but is mostly road way of Prarie Lakes. The area around Lake Marion obviously is much wetter but the western side holds some game as well. The Conoe creek side west of rd 5 has a nice lil corner bordering the fence line of Prarie Lakes but can be a challenge to get to due to the high creek. There is a fallen tree that can be managed if you dont carry to much stuff. If you can get across push back towards Lake Jackson on the fence line.
I had the Prarie Lakes hunt this past weekend and hunted this fence line back by the lake. Had 2 nice size Doe cross half hour before dark. If I were hunting on the Threee lakes side I would have had a clean shot on both.No doe for Prarie Lakes.
Getting away from the fence line though. The road that runs out to lake Jackson, I think 5B,I always get confused between the two, has some nice thick oak patches that run east and west along the lake with clearings between them although they are pretty marshy. I have seen several deer that will come out from by the lake and walk the field edges.
Look at google earth and find the last fire break that goes east and then south and back into the wood line. Its about a mile walk but a quiet way to get back in there.
Sorry if I sound confusing but I can see it in my mind better than putting into words.

Return to “WMA FORUM”