How much do you rely on harvest reports?

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

How much do you rely on harvest reports?

Post by Hoss74 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:52 pm

In two weeks I'm headed on vacation and plan on spending some time in either ocala or osceola. In trying to decide which everything points to osceola except the harvest reports.
I know Osceola, I'm familiar with the land, I've spotted lots of wildlife there, and it's 15 minutes from my home.

However, when you look at nearly 500 buck in ocala vs less then 30 in the harvest report of osceola, it's hard to ignore those numbers.

Then again as far as I know, there are no check stations in osceola, so I'm not sure where they even get their numbers from.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Re: How much do you rely on harvest reports?

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:31 pm

I know for a fact, 30 out of Osceola isn't very accurate. I'd take Osceola over Ocala any day of the week given the location (I'm closer to it too). I think it has fewer people too. The last couple years were VERY WET in there. Maybe that had something to do with the low number? I don't know. I'd hunt it anyhow. I doubt very many folks are driving to the check stations. The place is so big. I wouldn't. If it is out of my way, I ain't going.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Zero Nada never even look at them

heritage14
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by heritage14 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:20 am

It depends. Some quota WMA's only have one road in/out with manned check stations. If that's the case, the harvest data is pretty darn accurate in my opinion. Otherwise, like the post above mine mentions, people aren't going to drive out of there way to stop and check in their game.

Return to “WMA FORUM”