Camp Blanding still hunt area 2

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sharrison
scout

Camp Blanding still hunt area 2

Post by sharrison » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Just curious if it's a decent area to hunt? I have quota for the last week of this month and I have never hunted there. I've hunted area 1 and most of the dog side many years ago but never area 2.

Not looking for any secret spots or anything, Just general info/advice on the place..

Thanks

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Camp Blanding still hunt area 2

Post by Bossman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 am

Blackpowderscout would be the person to ask, because he knows blanding pretty good. One thing first! If he ask you to go Wabbit Hunting...Run!

:taz
Bossman

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 am

LOL...

There's LOTs of little scrubby blackjack oaks down that way. Honestly, I've never hunted down there in Area 2. I've driven through it and around inside it for work. I've seen deer but no more or less than anywhere else on post. I'd probably start near the lakes.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 am

I was thinking about between Lowry and Magnolia. From Google Earth it looks like there is a creek bottom running between them. Figured unless someone told me different I would start there..

I wonder if you can scout the area on Sundays and Mondays when they open the gate to allow fishing at the lakes?

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:22 pm

Went out there today and didn't see very much. 2 Turkeys a few small yearlings and one doe.

The board showed only one deer was taken today as of 5 p.m. when I had to head home for other plans. The guy at the gate said 53 cars and 82 people showed up. Which is weird since it was opening day there. Tomorrow i'm going to do an evening hunt. Everyone I talked to said they didn't see much of anything until later in the day. I did see 4 snakes. 2 pigmy rattlers in the road a black racer and one cotton mouth sunning on the bank.

All in all a good day. Hopefully tomorrow brings more action as I found a better spot closer to a small creek.. I will say my max 180 sd is the most comfortable stand i've ever used. No issues sitting for 3-4 hours at a time.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:36 am

There was a buck chasing a doe outside the office about a week ago. Good luck!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Still no luck, But getting closer. I did see a group of hogs that never gave me a shot and even a few deer today, Just no shooters so I think i'm in a decent spot. I did find a dead doe that looked like she was shot earlier today or yesterday evening.She had to be right under someones stand. The bullet went in right at her spine and exited about mid body.

I told the lady at the gate and gave her the gps coordinates. Should I call the FWC as well?

Only 63 people came through the gate today and still only one deer showing on the board..
Dead Doe (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “WMA FORUM”