Devils hammock wma

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Devils hammock wma

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm

What club are you in JBUG

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bossman

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:17 pm

Devils hammock has been flooding pretty bad the last few years. I wonder if it has to do with all the land clearing the Canadian cattle farmer did, since he bought just about everything on all three sides. It used to flood a bit years ago, but recently it's insane. It was a great place before then, I think the combination of the untouched land around it ,just used by small groups of leasers, some of them had feeders not far off property so you got regular travel routes producing lots of deer and hog. Those where the days... Then he bought everything and also brought in hog dogger that still pull out fair amounts of hogs to sell off. A vender I use at work was showing me loads of hogs the trappers pull out from the land above long branch rd using dogs. I am pretty sure he sells hunting rights too because I have gathered up and returned a couple dogs over the years. And don't get me started with how many turkey I used to see off property that I don't see anymore. I watched the harvest number go down and down the last two years. Don't get me wrong it's my favorite place, 20 mins for home and much better then Goethe, or Lochloosa, but it's not anything like it used to be.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:12 am

Bossman wrote:What club are you in JBUG

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Gulf Hammock

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:13 pm

A brother of mine was on gulf hammock for years. Not any more tho. Older fellow.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm

I have property in the middle of Fiber Factory, I also belong to Levyville.

:saluting
Bossman

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:40 am

Bossman wrote:I have property in the middle of Fiber Factory, I also belong to Levyville.

:saluting
Cool - not far from where I am I'm sure. This is my 3rd season there. I love it for it's vastness, fishing, 4 wheeler riding and just getting my boys over there to turn them loose.
I joined mainly because they were eat up with hogs, but they seem to be dwindling in numbers. 2013 the guy camped behind me got 10. 2014 he got 2.
This year they changed a lot of the rules and a lot of folks left. If it was all about "shootin" something I would have never joined. Going over 8/15 to see how deep the water is around my stands.
The ol' timer I lease my campsite from is in his late 60's or early 70's. He has been on this property since he was a little boy with HIS grandfather. Lots of interesting stories.

Sorry - :offtopic

Return to “WMA FORUM”