TOSOHATCHEE

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: TOSOHATCHEE

Post by Kortsman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 pm

That campground on 50 does not allow tents. Only campers.
The private property across the street from the Toso gate has a shower house and he allows you to plug in your extension cord. Bring a power strip cause sometimes other people use the only plugs there. Last time I went it was $20 a night. But it's worth it because it's literally right across the street. The only way to get any closer is to sleep at the check station...lol..

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Still very dry out there but saw 4 does today but I could smell pigs while scouting. I know by archery it will be wet.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:58 am

Have you been to Toso yet to scout.

This weather should start bringing up the water level in there. The higher the river the higher the water in Toso.
I seen deer every time i been there to scout. No bucks yet, first scrap this week end. Saw an otter and a fox squirrel. Ok so you know Flowing Well RD is usually wet after the first 100 yards down during archery. By gun its down to puddles.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:16 am

I have not been down to Toho - life getting in the way. I turned in my archery and muzzle loading permits due to conflicting schedules. If I'm lucky I will be able to go on the GG, but if not - that's the way it goes.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 am

Well maybe i see you there. I have a beautiful archery spot with lots of persimmons, they are mostly still hard green so they should be ready.

Grizzl
scout

Post by Grizzl » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:23 am

Checked my spots the other day and found a game camera overlooking a scrape. In plain view??? Yea, it's way back but easily seen...Soooo..I posed for ya so you can recognize me as someone who hunts that area too so don't be upset when we hunt that buck together (IF someone doesn't take it- It was tied to the tree with green white rope and the case was padlocked)... I have other spots working but I will be back there too. Good Luck!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Archery was a bust, closed for Mathew. Second I got in Saturday and Sunday persimmons falling in water. Only saw a yot did manage to hit it on the. run.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 am

When I was a teenage kid, Tosohatchee was the place! A private piece of posted property on the St. Johns River. They had cows, hogs and their own game warden mingled in among all the deer. Access was from the river marsh usually in an airboat, lots of stories about pieces of pipe and angle iron driven into the airboat trails at a 45 degree angle. Times have changed, my memories are way over 50 years ago. Do any of y'all remember the flowing sulfer well on the south side of highway 50 back when it was a 2 lane road, when it was a wooden bridge across the river, when 50 ended at US 1 in a place called Indian River City?
I must be gettin' old, reminiscing.
Treefarmer

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Carl some times would talk about Toso, when it was private and they come in by air-boat.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Some friends just told me they stayed at a hotel by 95 and hwy 50 said it was about 45 bucks a night. Said ac showers and a bed.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:08 am

Ted I hope you get something down there - I won't be making the trip. First year in a long time that I drew permits for all 3 hunts in an area and not able to use a single one.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks did not have a single toso permit last year.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Well - how did you do? Im curious on what I missed out on.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Total for me I filled every doe tag on 3 hunts and my bud filled all the buck tags. Hes on the board with 3 bucks. Oh and I got one pig but not all is good lost one deer and one hog.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:42 pm

The first BP my permit he drilled a 6 at first light first day. He never gave me a chance but he told me he shot ever deer he saw. I shot one out ever 3.
first 2 hunts I saw deer every time in the stand but one night when I lost a pig.

Return to “WMA FORUM”