Central Florida WMA’s

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

dead_deer_walking
scout

Central Florida WMA’s

Post by dead_deer_walking » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:36 pm

I have been hunting WMA’s since the early 80’s. I have not been lucky enough to get on a lease. So out of all of the central WMA’s what one is your favorite and why?

I will start.

I like Chaz because i can get there in 15 minutes and is easy for me to get there and scout. I have taken a few deer there and will be huting spring turkey there this year.

I like croom only if i can get the blackpowder or the first 9 day hunt. I have done very well there lots of young deer and a few nice buck taken there every year.

I like green swamp just because it is a large chunck of land and you never know what you will see out there.

Gothee was a really nice place when it first became a WMA back in the early 90's

and citrus for small game by far the best tree rat hunting. And the deer population is starting to turn around also
KILL IT AND GRILL IT

strunes
Tenderfoot
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Central Florida WMA’s

Post by strunes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 pm

I like Homosassa because it is super close to my weekend house and I always see lots of cool animals. Also it always has the same hunters and we all respect each other and always try to help each other. I don't like that it is small game only and that you cannot use centerfire rifle or pistol.
It is what it is!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Croom and Citrus are my favorite. I can be in Croom in about 35-40 minutes. I like Citrus because it brings back a lot of memories from my childhood. Me and dad spent many a weekend in there.
You are right about Croom, the 9 day and ML are some of the best hunts in the state of Fl
I try to avoid GS and Richloam

I usually just small game hunt around here now, as I hunt in the North end of the state. Less people to deal with
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Croom and Citrus are my favorite. I can be in Croom in about 35-40 minutes. I like Citrus because it brings back a lot of memories from my childhood. Me and dad spent many a weekend in there.
You are right about Croom, the 9 day and ML are some of the best hunts in the state of Fl
I try to avoid GS and Richloam

I usually just small game hunt around here now, as I hunt in the North end of the state. Less people to deal with
I can be there in 30 sec's.

flhuntfish
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by flhuntfish » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Heres my feedback on the ones that I have hunted...

Jumper Creek WMA used to be awesome back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Lots of deer and turkey. Now it is completely over run with people. Cant walk 300 yards without seeing someone or having 5-6 people walk up to you while in your stand. Their harvest numbers have been going down like crazy over the years.

Flying Eagle WMA is superb for turkey hunting. We always take 3-4 real nice birds outta there each spring. Just started getting the quotas for archery there and saw deer and will more then likely be back next year.

Citrus WMA has lots of turkeys. And i agree that the deer herds are getting better these past few years. Always see lots of deer in there and took a spike last year.

I just started hunting Lochloosa WMA and i always see deer in there and lately have been seeing turkeys all over the place. Im looking forward to small game and turkey hunting this year in there.

I have also hunted Croom WMA one evening a couple years ago during general gun on our way back from camp. Saw around 12 deer just in one evening and we walked in there blind.

I have plans for applying for Hachet Creek WMA quotas next year cause its about 10 mins from my place.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:50 pm

chazz and homosassa.

chazz is huge and had alot of diverse terrain

homosassa . only 30 daily permits!

strunes
Tenderfoot

Post by strunes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:chazz and homosassa.

chazz is huge and had alot of diverse terrain

homosassa . only 30 daily permits!
The cool thing about Homosassa is they never fill up because they reissue the numbers as the hunters leave.
It is what it is!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:34 pm

thats not a god thing IMO. lol..

cracker mentality
scout

Post by cracker mentality » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Arbuckle, Baird, and Citrus for quota and Panasoffkee for special oportunity.
Cracker

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:42 pm

cracker, Welcome to the site. :toast Feel free to go over to the new member area and tell us about yourself.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Renegadehunter
scout

Post by Renegadehunter » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Ocala Forest. with all that land if you cant find ya a good spot you are plain sorry, lol. been hunting up there 28 yrs.

Greybeard
First Class Scout

Post by Greybeard » Sun May 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Does anyone hunt Lake Marion Creek area near Haines City/Poinciana? Is there any wildlife in there, or is it mostly hikers?
“The best government is that which governs least.”

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Sun May 09, 2010 9:50 pm

sweet
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “WMA FORUM”