Mayakka?

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

lamehawk
Silver Contributer
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Mayaka?

Post by lamehawk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:42 pm

45 lb recurve sweet
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Hazardink
scout

Post by Hazardink » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:56 am

hey guys, I would like to join that hunt. Getting a bow from my dad in july. Do you think my 11 year old son could come? Wanted to hunt there last year but missed the season, when I found out about it, it was too late.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 am

Glowworm wrote:Anyone skilled enough to try a primitive archery only hog hunt at myaka????
I make primitive bows, and arrows. And am good enough to hit a 6" target at 30 yards. with no sights.....
Anyone want to try a primitive hunt?
Whats a homemade long bow cost? I miss shooting one, I used to use one for gigging frogs when I was a kid. Pretty crazy how accurate you can get when you have nothing to do but practice.

rebelman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by rebelman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 am

not to get back on subject or anything where is this wma? ive never heard of it. tryed fwc no luck could someone post a link? id like to try a hunt heere
Tree Top Assasins. greatfully employed hunter

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 am

they are working on the new paperwork on it.. it will be up on my fwc.com asap.. Anyone can some as long as you got a license.. its public.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 am

They have a nice campsite too! Only $8-10 a night. I spent a weekend down there....caught some fish in the little "Watering Hole." I liked it.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:01 pm

rebelman wrote:not to get back on subject or anything where is this wma? ive never heard of it. tryed fwc no luck could someone post a link? id like to try a hunt heere
Plus, you have to spell the damn thing right! It's Myakka, not Mayaka as the title of the thread has it. It's not a WMA, but a PSGHA.
Full name is Myakka State Forest Public Small Game Hunting Area.

Here's a link to last year's brochure: http://myfwc.com/docs/Brochures/09-10_MyakkaSGA.pdf
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Re: Mayakka?

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 am

Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 am

On the archery hunt, any licensed hunter with a WMA permit can hunt the archery season.
What I am trying to do is create a primitive archery hunt where the folks only use primitive equipment.
Wood longbows, wood arrows, feathers, and "LEGAL" hunting points, Dressed in primitive clothing too!

As I am a medeival researcher, I would be dressed in a 13th century Englishmans clothing, and hunting equipment to stalk and kill a hog.

I dont have any longbows done at the moment, but have several in the works. For friends I have been making them at cost, and because I consider all on the forums here friends I would extend that offer to you as well. Hence Im not making a dime, only providing a service. I also teach bow and arrow making classes at my woodshop.

A plain english longbow made from hickory, with a clear glass backing runs with shipping roughly 70 bucks. String is extra. I currently have several bows in line so building one of these may take a while.
New season coming up!

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 am

Glowworm wrote:On the archery hunt, any licensed hunter with a WMA permit can hunt the archery season.
What I am trying to do is create a primitive archery hunt where the folks only use primitive equipment.
Wood longbows, wood arrows, feathers, and "LEGAL" hunting points, Dressed in primitive clothing too!

As I am a medeival researcher, I would be dressed in a 13th century Englishmans clothing, and hunting equipment to stalk and kill a hog.

I dont have any longbows done at the moment, but have several in the works. For friends I have been making them at cost, and because I consider all on the forums here friends I would extend that offer to you as well. Hence Im not making a dime, only providing a service. I also teach bow and arrow making classes at my woodshop.

A plain english longbow made from hickory, with a clear glass backing runs with shipping roughly 70 bucks. String is extra. I currently have several bows in line so building one of these may take a while.
Do you use authentic 13th century glass on your longbows? :smartass :archer

What's the approximate draw weight on one of your longbows?
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:10 pm

unfortuanatly the 13th century period equivalent is to use Yew wood, and not back it with anything. Unfortunatly Yew is prohibitivly expensive try 150 just for a piece of wood.
So I use the closest thing i can find to replicate the bow, and Hickory is the best and cheapest source so far. Now the problem is that commercially available hickory wood does not follow the growth rings of the tree, so it must be backed with something or it will break along the grain/rings. So while Clear fiberglass is not an invention of the 13th century, it is clear, and renders itself to nearly invisable from a few feet away, and so a comprimize or consession must be made to build the bow to keep with the looks and appearance of the wood, while maintaining safey and usability of the bow. Adding the glass greatly increaseses these factors while not detracting from the bow by looking "Modern"

The draw weights on most of my bows that I have made are between 35 and 65 lbs. With the magority being around 35lbs. I personally shoot a 40lb bow, because it is close to the weight I am used to when shooting in competitions, and my compound bow is much lighter after you get past the peak draw weight so its a fair trade.

I am making a pair of REAL authentic Yew Longbows (like I said the wood alone cost 150 per stave), with real horn nocks, and a friend is spinning some silk for me to use to make into a bow string for these puppies. Once finished one will be my pride and joy the other will go to the highest bidder, I can easily get 800.00 for the Yew bow once complete, as there are no bowyers in the US making yew longbows that are authentic.
New season coming up!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:57 pm

tell us more about the going in drag part. can you outfit Crock with tights and all and get pics? a picture is worth a thousand words, J.K. you have all my respect for being able to build a bow like that and actualy bring down a hog with one. but seriously some photos of Crock in that get up would be priceless.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:54 am

I would doubt very highly I could get Crock into a period tunic and tights. Not even at gun point :)
gavinwscolor.jpg
Pic of me at a primitive archery competition, this is not a bow I built but one that was loaned to me for the competition, the arrows were store bought too. Its actually a good bow, but my new one is mucho better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New season coming up!

rebelman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by rebelman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:07 pm

way cool, almost like a rennissance festivel get up. hey gw me n u need to chat bout somethin im sending you a pm
Tree Top Assasins. greatfully employed hunter

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Hey look! It's Robin Hood. Or is it Friar Tuck?

Return to “WMA FORUM”