Full case resizing.

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Full case resizing.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am

Does this need to be done. Its a major P.I.T.A. I freaking cracked my benchtop!! (Yes the cases are lubed) Is full resizing necessary? Cause i know theres neck resizing and full casing resizing. Neck resizing is simple.

Can i just neck resize? And would I have to get a whole new die set since i only have a 2 piece set?

Can i just ajust the die to only do the neck?

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Full case resizing.

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 am

for an autoloader you DEFINATELY want to f/l re-size or you could easily end up with ftf/fte issues. I noticed some rust on your dies in your pics. a good cleaning on the inside of the die couldn't hurt (for old or new dies). as for the cracked table, presses generate a tremendous amount of torque and leverage with that handle. thats why you need a solid bench, attatched to the wall studs help. rcbs makes a metal mounting plate for not much $ that mounts to the bench and the press,powder measure attatch to that and supports the press and stiffens up the bench and absorbs a lot of the press forces. I've made 3 diff benches from wood over the years and now use a galv top 8 drawer (that hold a ton of wt and are on rollers) workbench from sears/craftsman that is the bomb, you can move it if you relocate or decide you want it in another room, holds tons of stuff neatly, and was not a lot of $ at the time.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Full case resizing.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 am

So i definitly gotta FULL RESIZE? Cant just rezize,the neck?

The old dies were the .45 dies. Im using new 30.06 dies now. (Was decapping and resizing 30.06)

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 am

for the 06 bolt, neck sizing would be fine but realize you are making a custom fit bullet for YOUR GUN only and they MAY not chamber in another 06, even one from the same mfg. dies have a vent hole in the body and need to be kept clear, hence the cleaning and maintenance of even new dies, they can have packing/storeage oil in them that attract crud. every now and then everyone gets a case stuck in a die and it can be a royal pia to get them out without damaging the pin and or rod inside the die.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:57 am

Please make sure your life ins policy is updated before you go to the range:grin:
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Please make sure your life ins policy is updated before you go to the range:grin:
LMAO !!!!! and yes you need to resize , cutting corner with reloading is not good .
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:42 pm

I have 2 re-loading "experts" I ask questions and both disagree on the neck size vs the full length re-size. one says for ultimate accuracy in bolts and single shots, neck sizing is the way to go. the other says neck sizing leaves no wiggle room and increases odds of ftft/fte and in cold weather a gun bbl can constrict causing a stuck case. I can see and understand both sides. imo little things like neck sizing,measuring case lengts/wt's, trickler measuring each powder charge and uniforming primer pockets may be a waste of time and energy, but IF YOU think/believe it makes a difference, then I believe you will shoot that round better than a storebought one. and feel free to make me your insurance benificary,lol.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 pm

I load 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm and those are all FL re-sized as they are all fired in self loading rifles.
I also load .223 Remington and .308 Winchester which are only neck sized as they are fired in bolt action rifles. Each of my .223 and .308 loads are made specifically for a particular rifle. Back when I used to shoot long range I even had each brass oriented in the chamber in a specific way... yes, it was carrying consistancy to extreme.
One thing you may try is to lube your brass and then wait few hours before sizing them as some lubes will work better after some time.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Full case resizing.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Well i have read that if your shooting the reloads in the same BOLT ACTION rifle all you need to do is resize the neck. If your putting the round into a clip or lever action, a full resize is needed.

Just going to full resize all because thats the only 06 dies i have.

With that said, i greatly appreciate all the info from everyone!

Well since i cracked the top of my bench i re inforced it. I got some 3/4 inch ply and cut it to the size i wanted. I made it a little longer so i now have more bench top room.

Then i glued & screwed it to the existing top. Then i cut some 1x4 and reinforced the bottom. Stained, re drilled holes, and reinstalled equipment.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey you got any use for another red craftsman tool chest like you got there? I got one identical to that as well as the cart it sits on top of that has drawers and a cabinet int he bottom. Its on my back porch of you want it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Full case resizing.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 pm

I got the bottom part also. Its in my garage with shooting stuff in it. When i got my big toolbox i had no use for it so i keep the bottom half in my garage collecting dust. Thanks tho.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:18 pm

the bench should ideally be rock solid and not able to be budged, ie fastened to wall studs and or floor. 3/4" ply could be better also. I used some 2" ply once and it was ok, or 2x10's, or something solid like oak or a butcher block. the sturdier the bench the better off you will be. an old solid door wood or metal will work if you have lots of room or can cut it down. I've probly spent more on lumber and hardware than the craftsman bench and it's 10x better, as long as fastened to something.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:Well i have read that if your shooting the reloads in the same BOLT ACTION rifle all you need to do is resize the neck. If your putting the round into a clip or lever action, a full resize is needed.

Just going to full resize all because thats the only 06 dies i have.
You can neck size only if your brass is elastic enough to shrink in the chamber of the rifle and the neck length or the over all length of the case is in spec. BUT...I like full length dies so I can ensure I get at least a .001" setback on the case shoulder so I know it will fit in the chamber. On self loaders you need approx .004 give or take to ensure the ammo chambers.
The best neck sizing dies are the Redding Bushing Dies. Lee col-let dies are ok if you like them.

Other issues you can run into that makes re-sizing difficult is case hardened brass. The more you work brass the harder it gets, that makes the brass tough to size. Annealing the neck will soften the brass, making it easier to run through the die.

Above all more than enough lube is way better and easier to deal with than not enough lube and a stuck case.

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Post by pandaxmx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 pm

When you say you are lubing the brass , are you lubing enough ? what type of lubercation are you using? I use Hornady one shot case sizing wax, a can of this lasts forever... also cleaning out you dies even new can be a help also.. and you press bolted to a piece of plywood isn't strong enough mine is bolted to a 2x10 , that won't crack...and yes full resizing is the best especially with a powerful load as a 30-06, in my opinion....be sure to lube the entire piece of brass very little if any on the neck and shoulder....
Gun Laws are only for folks who Obey the Law..Criminals don't give a HOOT

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Full case resizing.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:53 am

Yea the bench is good now. Im using one shot lube. Gotta wait to get this stuck brass out. Hopefully work picks up and i can get some stuff. I got some 30.06 decapped and resized. Soon ill get a new tumbler when work picks up, then bullets.

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”