Lube and casings

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Well got another question.

Ok now i lube the outside of the brass and i recently got the decapper stuck in a casing. I managed to tighten thr top crimp nut with heman force and fight it out..

Now the question is, should you lube the inside of the casing also? Does that "one shot" lube dry?

I mean im sure after 4 hours in the tumbler the brass should dry out right?

Ive reloaded handgun .45 and had no problems what so ever. I stayed away from the rifle ammo and i remember why. Lol

kc45
Troop Bugler

Re: Lube and casings

Post by kc45 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Yes, that's plenty of time.
I usually add one or two able spoon of mineral spirit to the tumbling media to help it clean faster.
I normally only tumble my fired brass for about 60 minutes... or a little longer when I forget.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:Well got another question.

Ok now i lube the outside of the brass and i recently got the decapper stuck in a casing. I managed to tighten thr top crimp nut with heman force and fight it out..

Now the question is, should you lube the inside of the casing also? Does that "one shot" lube dry?

I mean im sure after 4 hours in the tumbler the brass should dry out right?

Ive reloaded handgun .45 and had no problems what so ever. I stayed away from the rifle ammo and i remember why. Lol
It really helps to get some lube inside the neck.....if you use the spray lube, lay the cases side by side with the mouths pointing towards you. Spray across the cases, roll 1/2 turn, spray again and then let dry before sizing.
Also you can try the baggie method .... dump a bunch of cases in a baggie, spray in the lube, shake em up, dump on a rag and let dry.

Run out of lube...Break Free CLP works good too!

Too little lube...stuck case
Too much lube oil canned shoulder.

I use alcohol or mineral spirits to clean the excess lube from the case, then let air dry.

Good handgun dies are carbide, no lube needed.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 pm

oh...and if you don't want the liquid type lube in the case mouth, use a wax type lube on a bore swab to lube the case mouth.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Stuck casing! Oh well guess ima need a removal tool. It was lubed well. Oh well im done for today.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

as usual a few different opinions on procedure. if you re-size dirty brass before tumbling, guess where the dirt is gonna end up and possibly cause stuck cases? then you have to pick the bits of media out of the flash hole. not sayin it's the right or only way to do it but I tumble first. you can throw in a few pieces of a nylon scotchie dish pad sprayed with wd-40 to speed up cleaning time. then remove and empty media from brass, place in a bowl or bag spray with one shot and mix em up. the oil will dry and not affect powder or primer (if you don't believe me read the side of the spray can). if they don't run smooth you can spray some one shot on a q-tip and lightly lube the inside of the neck if really needed. a dremmel with a small wire brush bit cleans the primer pocket extremely well and fast. then load them leaving the lube on and the brass will stay nice and shiny for quite a while. I'll not go into it but you do know to chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouths right?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm

removal tool? do you have a vise,drill and e-z out bit? loosen the decapping pin and locknut completely, place the die in the vise with the bottom of the case facing up, get a (sharp) metal drill bit the correct size for the e-z out, drill out the primer pocket insert e-z out, tap it in LIGHTLY til it grabs and screw it out. if the decapping pin, expander ball or rod are damaged, call the die mfgr. rcbs has replaced severall for me, free.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Hmmm i need this tool.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Well got the top pinch nut off. Now the decapper is just in the casing (bouncing around, mot stuck in the neck but held hostage in the casing,Image

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 pm

the pin is likely bent if not the rod and expander ball. I have some spare pins from rcbs if they will fit. you got bad mojo tonight. have a drink, do the nasty and go to sleep before you really mess something up or hurt yourself, lol.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:39 pm

It will come out...get a bigger hammer! Clean the brass before you size ... lube the mouth of the case.

Once you drive the case out of the die, use a pipe cutter to cut the case in half, drop out the decaper and pin.....

http://leeprecision.com/stuck-case-removal.html

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=463

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Pipe cutter!! Actually got a small one! Never thought bout that. Ill work on that tomorrow.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Put the lock nut on loose, drive the pin with a punch the brass will drive out of the die. Cut the case in half with a hacksaw or pipe cuter......don't mess around trying to save ruined brass.

Did I tell you to use more lube...put a tiny bit in the case mouth?

Sorta like...need more cow bell!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 am

Man might mess up the pin banging on it like that.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Lube and casings

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am

Got it out but mushroomed the top of the decapper. Now crimp nut wont fit back on! Lol should i run it on a grinding wheel so i can flatten out the mushroom?

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”