O.A.L. Question.

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

O.A.L. Question.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Ok i was measuring the O.A.L. On my rem 700 sps 30.06.

Now what i did was measure it 5 times to get the best average. So my measurements were as follows:

Then i added them all up and divided by 5 to get the best average O.A.L. Of 3.363 .

Ok now the loaders book says the MAX O.A.L. Can be no longer then 3.340 .

Now i know measuring the O.A.L. Of your gun is the best way to make the perfect hand load for accuracy (after you got the powder configuration to your needs).

So is it ok to load an O.A.L. To 3.362 when the MAX O.A.L. In the book is NOT TO EXCEDE 3.340?

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: O.A.L. Question.

Post by nachogrande » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm

OK. each manual may use diff guns or universal recievers as test weapons. also even guns of the same mfg and mdl's will have slight variations in internal measurements (shapes/dimensions). normaly when they say not to excede a certain oal it's because the round will not fit in some mags or chambers, remember mfg's are making a bullet (say 30-06) that will fit in EVERY mag and chamber of every 30-06 ever built (industry spec). you are just concerned with your gun. there are technical ways of getting the exact internal specs of YOUR gun, but unless you plan on long range worldwide competition it won't be needed,imo. seating a bullet too deep, with a shorter oal can cause increased internal pressures and be more dangerous than having an oal too long. there will be an oal range that will fit in YOUR mag, feed, eject and be most accurate, that's the sweet spot we have been talking about, that you need to find out for that particular bullet and load. if you find it be sure to write it down. the method I use is to seat the 1st bullet into empty brass with no powder or primer and see how it fits in YOUR mag and feeds/ejects. I start with it a little long so I can just feel the bullet touching the lands in the bbl (while still fitting in the mag,feeding & ejecting properly), the bolt might be a little hard to close. then back it down a little, (shorten the oal) and you should be pretty close the sweet spot, but only shooting it will tell you for sure. now this process I would ONLY use for bolt or single shot guns. semi autos,pumps, levers I'd adhere strictly to factory spec. the next chapter will be on neck sizing, and don't forget the quiz on friday.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

O.A.L. Question.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 pm

nachogrande wrote:OK. each manual may use diff guns or universal recievers as test weapons. also even guns of the same mfg and mdl's will have slight variations in internal measurements (shapes/dimensions). normaly when they say not to excede a certain oal it's because the round will not fit in some mags or chambers, remember mfg's are making a bullet (say 30-06) that will fit in EVERY mag and chamber of every 30-06 ever built (industry spec). you are just concerned with your gun. there are technical ways of getting the exact internal specs of YOUR gun, but unless you plan on long range worldwide competition it won't be needed,imo. seating a bullet too deep, with a shorter oal can cause increased internal pressures and be more dangerous than having an oal too long. there will be an oal range that will fit in YOUR mag, feed, eject and be most accurate, that's the sweet spot we have been talking about, that you need to find out for that particular bullet and load. if you find it be sure to write it down. the method I use is to seat the 1st bullet into empty brass with no powder or primer and see how it fits in YOUR mag and feeds/ejects. I start with it a little long so I can just feel the bullet touching the lands in the bbl (while still fitting in the mag,feeding & ejecting properly), the bolt might be a little hard to close. then back it down a little, (shorten the oal) and you should be pretty close the sweet spot, but only shooting it will tell you for sure. now this process I would ONLY use for bolt or single shot guns. semi autos,pumps, levers I'd adhere strictly to factory spec. the next chapter will be on neck sizing, and don't forget the quiz on friday.
I use a hornady oal guage.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 pm

the oal listed in your manual MAY not be based on a test rifle like yours or the same bullet, type/mfg/shape/wt. thats why having many diff manuals is a good thing. you will notice things like oal,max loads etc will vary from manual to manual. don't try to get max velocity on the first try. many most accurate loads are at lower velocities and an animal isn't going to be able to tell if the bullet was going at 2800 or 2900 fps.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm

I use charmin,my wife likes scotts, lol. the oal gauge is just to keep you within factory spec and meant more for the semis/pumps/levers. you have more wiggle room with bolts and single shots when it comes to oal, it's an imprtant # but not etched in stone. a decent set of calipers from harbor freight or northern tools is a must have for serious re-loaders, not too expensive app 20$.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

O.A.L. Question.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:00 pm

I got calipers. How do you think i got the measurements? Lol

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Go here, this guy has a blog that covers a lot of good info.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/20 ... depth.html

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”