bullet recommendation for .243

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Haven't reloaded in quite a few years. Changed rifle calibers and didn't have enough brass to get serious about reloading for the .243, so I bought a case, 10 boxes of Remington 100gr. Core-lokt ammo. Been using them every year for quite awhile, have one full box left plus what's in the rifle and a few loose ones on the dresser. I've got 85 or so once fired .243 cases, time to figure out what bullet to use.

What bullet do any of you riflemen recommend that will punch a deer through and through to create a blood trail? Neck shots usually go through but a shot in the shoulder and even high shoulder when they fall on their nose doesn't go all the way and I have gathered quite a few bullets from under the the off side hide. If he runs a blood trail is important to me and these factory 100 grain Core-lokt Remingtons don't do what I want. They shoot well as far as groups on a target and I've killed my share with them, but at my age my skills are not what they used to be so shooting a hole through both lungs and the off side hide would be desirable. I don't want to go to a larger caliber rifle.

Here's 4 bullets that were caught, nose and tail pictures.

Thought would be appreciated. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Re: bullet recommendation for .243

Post by bellyacher » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Barnes would be a very good choice
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:06 am

If you want to stick with a cup & core bullet, then Nosler partitions are the best the industry provides. They set the standard. If you want to go a little cheaper, then Federal Fusions. They are the same exact concept as a core lokt, only a much better design and quality control.

If you want the best bullet on the market, i would load Barnes TSX or the TTSX. I shoot them in my 223 and my 243 and have yet to be able to retrieve one. I can't tell you if they will pass thru on a high shoulder shot because that is a shot I simple refuse to take. Look at the thread from the big hog I shot over Thanksgiving. He stumbled off 15-20 yards with a blood trail Ray Charles could follow. Also my friend shoots them in his 25-06 and shoulder shot a huge boar. He did find it in the opposite shield. Upon weighing it, it weighed the original 117gr. It lost zero weight passing thru all that bone
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 am

You can get the core lockt bullets to reload.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 pm

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Bottom line would be a bullet that will expand, retain most of its' weight and go throught the off hide creating a blood trail like the archery boys get with a complete pass through. Will any of these bullets do this without loading too hot for comfort? I appreciate your input. Even if I am an ol' man I can still learn from you young bucks! Treefarmer

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 pm

if for deer and under 300 yds, I'd say yes most likely but if both shoulders are involved or a texas neck shot, maybe not with the core lokts, can't speak of the tsx's. never had a partition not make a total pass thru at any angle on bigger northern deer or require more than 1 shot. I realy don't know enough about hogs but ones over 130 lbs would be much tougher on bullets I'd imagine and if you want to be sure of a total pass thru on larger hogs and possibly longer ranges I'd move up to a 7mm08 or 308 to be sure, not that it couldn't be done with a 243, but would more likely definately happen with a 308 class imo. as you know there are no guarantees with hunting. bullet performance can be strange at times.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”