tss

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

tss

Post by milkman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Anybody here have any experience loading tss? The numbers guys are getting over on the other turkey forums are nothing short of amazing. They are loading 9 shot that weighs as much as lead 6's and patterns way better than any of the HTL loads on the market. I plan on doing some experimenting with it.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Re: tss

Post by CitySlicker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:28 am

I saw a post of a guy shooting a paper plate with a 410 #9 TSS load. Looked like most of the pellets made the target at 40 yds. Pretty impressive.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:06 am

If you are into reloading, I guess it's ok. Just not my thing. In fact, I don't get too hung up on pellet counts. With the way factory loads are today I don't see a need to reload. With my supermag and my 20ga, shooting WInchester HV loads, there isn't a turkey I can't kill with either gun under 40 yards
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:58 pm

I kind of agree Allen. It's just something I'm curious about. It's not really a benefit for 12 guage but these guys are making 410 a true 40 yard gun. Hawglips on gobblernation is getting numbers in the hundreds in a ten inch circle at forty yards with a 410. You also don't need a reloading machine for these just a roll crimper and a couple of other small items to get started. It would be pretty cool to kill a gobbler with shells I loaded myself I think.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm

tss = square shot? I haven't reloaded for shotguns since being on a trap team a while ago (1982) and they had it then. I was dumfounded at the price increase in plain old lead shot over 30 years. how much $ are you talking for a 25lb bag of this specialty shot? current commercial loads are pretty darn good now. you would have to be doing a lot/ high volume of shotgun shooting to make it worthwhile imo, or just really want to do it.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:31 pm

It's tungsten based shot. It weighs 16 grams where heavy 13 weighs 12. Something and lead is much lighter than that. Tss mines weigh what lead six shot weighs allowing you to pack a lot of shot in a shell which greatly increases pattern density. It's not cheap,they are coming out to about 9 dollars per finished shell but when you think about it our limit is two birds throw in a couple shells at the range you're looking at 45 dollars. I spend more on gas in a weekend than that. Ammo is the cheapest expense no matter what ammo I use.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 pm

I bought a box of Nitro's a few years back. I shot them on paper, and they shot well. Just couldn't justify the $7/shell. I sold the remainder to a guy for face value
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Here's the necks on the 2 birds my boy shot. This is with a 20ga 3" Full with Winchester HV #5's. First one was 22 yards, second was 30. Had I known it was 30 I probably would have not let him shoot as he was wobbling pretty good

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”