Don't know anything about reloading but wanna start

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Don't know anything about reloading but wanna start

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking about to start reloading my .30-06 ammunition. I have like 10 boxes of shells that I kept for quite long so I can reload them later on.

But I do not want to spend high price for reloading equipment.

What should I get and any advice about reloading? How do I find out how much gunpowder that I need to put in and stuffs like that?

:dots

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Re: Don't know anything about reloading but wanna start

Post by pandaxmx » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Great , you can save a lot when reloading and can improve your accurcy...first get a book on reloading , it will give you what loads for what ever cal. and bullet you need it will also let you know the powder for the type and weight of bullet you are using, I tell everyone that e-bay is a very good place to get equiptment you need like a good press, some dies, sizer dies, etc. also you can start casting lead bullets that is another savings , now you will need a place to purchase primers, and powder midway, midsouth, or find a local store.. buy remember be very careful, and don't get distracted, or be in a hurry, if you have questions pm me i'll help answer anything i can or get you the answer you need
Gun Laws are only for folks who Obey the Law..Criminals don't give a HOOT

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 am

P-MX, kids these days will probably do it all online, (whats a book?) ASIAN, we've covered this a bunch of times so look up old posts (not trying to be rude).
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Asian,

See if any gun stores in your area sells reloading supplies and go see if they offer starter classed or know someone local that takes on new reloaders. I used to take on one new reloader for three days at a time (Friday to Sunday) couple times a year and teach everything from safety, storage, equipment, reloading data recording, to actually loading some cartridges. I would let them take home some basic equipment to load for a while until they could get their own. I stopped doing it couple years ago when one of the guys skipped town with my equipment... plus I had a baby, new job, etc. and didn't have the time.

Anyway, keep asking round, someone will help you get started.

BTW. you'll never save any money by reloading... you'll just shoot more.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 pm

kc45 wrote:Asian,

See if any gun stores in your area sells reloading supplies and go see if they offer starter classed or know someone local that takes on new reloaders. I used to take on one new reloader for three days at a time (Friday to Sunday) couple times a year and teach everything from safety, storage, equipment, reloading data recording, to actually loading some cartridges. I would let them take home some basic equipment to load for a while until they could get their own. I stopped doing it couple years ago when one of the guys skipped town with my equipment... plus I had a baby, new job, etc. and didn't have the time.

Anyway, keep asking round, someone will help you get started.

BTW. you'll never save any money by reloading... you'll just shoot more.
thank you for your infos. You know I always kept forgetting about my uncle who always reloads his ammos... I don't know why but I ordered some reloading parts to reload my winchester rounds and Im gonna be using his reloading press and equip. Also he agreed to teach me some basic knowledges about reloading and actually get to do some hands on as well.

Hopefully I get to reload all my 200 rounds of winchester .30-06 brasses lol

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:26 am

The H4895 is the classic powder for the 30-06 and still very good.
Varget is the newer powder favored by many 30-06 reloaders.

Good luck and stay safe.

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”