25-06 DIE RUINED

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

nachogrande
Wood Badger

25-06 DIE RUINED

Post by nachogrande » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:41 pm

for years all I ever shot thru my ruger m77 varmint stainless lamie 25-06 was fire formed neck sized rounds. well they won't fit in the ruger med wt bll 25-06, so I gotta pull the bullets from already loaded rounds, full length re-size them, re-load, shoot em in the new gun and start neck sizing again. problem is I havent used the f/l re-size die in so long and kept it stored in the garage w/o a/c it jammed the first case ane bent the rod and dented the expander ball, also broke the bullet puller also in the garage, damm FL heat really does a job on plastic and rubber and even metal with the humidity. need my MAN CAVE in the a/c. waiting to hear from RCBS.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

swampbird
scout

Re: 25-06 DIE RUINED

Post by swampbird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:42 pm

It might not be a "full length" sizing issue. It could be you're not bumping back the shoulder of the case far enough on the shoulder of the case. Sometimes all it takes is 0.001 or 0.002

With two guns of the same caliber you might want to pick up and use a Hornady Headspace Gage. The Headspace gage measures from the case-head to the datum line on the case shoulder to allow you to measure the rifle chamber.

The trick is to bump the shoulder back minimum of 0.001 on the shortest chamber...my guess the mid weight.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: 25-06 DIE RUINED

Post by nachogrande » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:52 pm

that would be the correct way to do it, but I've been doing it wrong for so long and still getting good results I'm gonna leave it as is if I can. I got the new die innards free from rcbs, cleaned and lubed the inside of the old die (which is probably why the old one didn't work, not cared for) put the die about a dime thicknes from the shell holder and adjusted depth by feel just until the old primers would come out. new magnum bullet puller from lyman worked great, no problem f/l resizing brass, now just gotta see if they will chamber in the gun and I'm assuming they will but it's off getting bedded,trigger worked, wood refinished and scope mounted before I will load any rounds.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”